Author Topic: Thoughts on printing this design 8/4  (Read 1237 times)

Offline DCSP John

Thoughts on printing this design 8/4
« on: August 04, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
How would you guys print this? Sport Grey shirt.

Customer is trying to go for the least pricey option, and they sent this
back to us as a '5 color print' Two blues, black, pink, white...
Would you even consider trying to print this using one pink and expect to get
anything close to the image on screen?

Thanks for any input.

John

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
Re: Thoughts on printing this design 8/4
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 05:02:14 PM »
"Least pricey", 1 color halftone.  Done.   ;D
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:43:35 PM »
Gotta have the DC cherry blossoms as pink though Scott!

I would probably make the whole top either black or the blue, and just do one color, with halftones where necessary.  Then do two pinks and your white base.  Shouldnt need a highlight white or a double stroke on the white on those sport grays if you use the right mesh and the right ink.  I don't think you can get away with one pink and have it look good with so much light pink coverage.  If anything you could maybe underbase the areas that are meant to be dark pink with black or omit the base and have the sport gray under those, but it will not look right.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:26:59 PM »
1 Base white
Flash
2 Black
3 Blue
4 Pink
5 Top white

It's a different approach. I would eliminate the purple (because I can't make a blue).

I really want a top white (light %) going over top of the pink halftones mixing up, so I create that light pastel pink and can control that easily. + with it mixing wet on wet, it creates a much more convincing pink than does just small red dots on white.  Ya savvy the tought process?

I print a chosen percent of black under the blue buildings to darken the blue. Maybe 40%.   I would not normally out down 40% of black to mix in many situations but with a pretty much solid blue going over top, it will overpower that black and make a good dark blue like navy. Then also above the black,and blue...some pink in the blue buildings so that I get (a shade) of purple. The choice of pink might be near a hot or rich pink like in the magenta family.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:29:02 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850