Author Topic: Proof of merchandise agreement  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Proof of merchandise agreement
« on: November 02, 2015, 02:17:04 AM »
Our shop was contacted by a business here in Japan that claims to have obtained merchandise agreements with several of the major baseball teams over here to use make t-shirt designs with player and team names. Would we be required to make sure that they really have a merchandise agreement with Japan Baseball or is it enough to have their word, email as a proof? How are these things handled in the States?
We are not talking here 1000s of tees rather 500 pcs each but I guess that would not make much of a difference anyway.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Proof of merchandise agreement
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 08:15:43 AM »
If it's anything like here in the states, there is a ton of formal paperwork.
It's come up here before. http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,15442.msg148940.html#msg148940
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 10:50:16 AM »
the easy thing would be to get a copy of the agreement and a contact name you can call/email to verify everything. 'should not be that hard. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jvieira

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 03:18:40 PM »
When our customers want us to print brand names/logos (we have supplied for Apple, Armani, Quiksilver, etc through agencies and middlemen) we always send them a file for them to sign where it states they have privileges to use that brand and take full responsibility for the usage of all images. No one has ever refused to sign.

That will keep you from having any problem with that sort of job (at least in our country).

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »
Quote from: jvieira link=topic=16282.msg155480#msg155480 date=1446495520

That will keep you from having any problem with that sort of job (at least in our country).
[/quote

What country are you in......"Hold Harmless Agreements" are not 100% safe.....Lawyers often name everyone.....If your clients chooses to ignore a lawsuit or does not have the resources to defend and/or pay a claim you may be left holding the bag and then you are faced with trying to recover from your client...

Work involving licenced artwork should be undertaken cautiously.....And do your "due diligence"...