Author Topic: CTS and Setups  (Read 7976 times)

Offline Ross_S

Re: CTS and Setups
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2015, 09:49:21 AM »
I purchased an I-image last year but own 2 TAS autos.  I have a pin system and yes the image in it's current set up will not register perfect on press.  We made a recommended adjustment to the image and did get better results but not perfect.  Though it's not perfect the amount of time the machine has saved me (imaging & exposing) has more than justified for a little registration time.  I've ended up putting about 2 hours a day of production back on my presses because of how much time that machine has saved me.  So don't be to discouraged about them not building you a jig for your press.  I mean put yourself in his shoes would you do the same.  Hope this helps.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 11:19:44 AM »
I'm trying to understand how you get 2 hours a day back on press; was the press not running because screens needed to be made? Every day? Or am I missing something? Our press runs all day except for changeovers, we always have a few jobs ready to go. Just curious, trying to see if it will make a difference for us. Personally, I think they run too much money. And, I would want one that has considered our MHM into the mix when manufacturing. I do really appreciate everyone's input, thanks to all for taking the time.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2015, 11:47:22 AM »
I run a short staff so it was taking a lot of time just to print film and the expose.  It was taking us roughly 10 to 15 minutes to print film out for a full front or back then exposure times were 2.5 minutes to 4.5 minutes.  I also purchased a starlight so now my exposures are 3 to 14 seconds.  So basically im doing that whole prosess in a minute which in turn allows my guys to print more.

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »
Steve you can give me a call if you want I can give you some insight.
Ross

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2015, 01:47:53 PM »
Steve you can give me a call if you want I can give you some insight.
Ross

I can see that if your staff is working on screens and film instead of printing, that indeed yes, you get a lot of time back to run the press. Keep pushing the sales so you can have dedicated staff and keep that press running; if it's not running, you're only spending, and not making anything. Maybe add a part timer to help with ink cleaning and reclaiming, so the press keeps running. In our beginning, my partner and I did everything; sales, art, screens, printing, shipping, office work. Our first hire was a full time printer, I took over the office and art, my partner took over screens, and also printed. Next, was an artist, who did art only, which let me help out in the shop more, and concentrate on sales. Next was a screen person, bought our first auto, and so on. For us, the press runs as much as possible with 2 or 3 jobs waiting in the wings, ready to go, which is why we wouldn't see that happen. Films are produced in the art dept and in the screen room, the setup is so easy for our press, that taping a film on the screen is a 5 second operation. And please don't get me wrong, I do like the idea, but can't see spending the money there instead of somewhere else, like a new press or more efficient dryer. Hope you're having a good one, Ross.

Steve

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2015, 02:07:37 PM »
Trust me I've been through my fair share of employees.  I'm the only contract shop in my surrounding area (20 to 30 miles).  I bring printers in and they get excited about the quality but then when they start having to do 1000s of shirts everyday versus 100s they lose interest and quit.  Been dealing with it for almost 10 years. 

But the i image has eliminated a lot of time.  We no longer deal with pin holes, human error on film placement, exposure time, etc.  Even if I had part timers and so forth the printing out of film would still be an issue.  Anymore I swear all we do is 4 colors and up every day so it's a lot of film and a lot of screens and this has allowed us to use that time in other areas. 

It's definately worth considering if you have 2 autos or more; just my 2 cents have a good one.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2015, 04:38:44 PM »
good employees are very tough to find, no 2 ways about it. I'd like to say that "kids today" thing, but I'll end up sounding like my Dad when he said it to me 50 years ago; not that it isn't still true though, LOL. We are damned fortunate to have a great staff, I'll say it every day. OK, as I'm typing this, my production manager just screwed up two shirts, football shirts, then made the exact same mistake again. This woman is great, she handles so much stuff here, her making one mistake is extremely rare, 2 in a row is totally out of the question. Yes, getting a good crew is very tough...

Steve

Offline jvieira

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2015, 05:40:33 PM »
The crew is one of the biggest assets we all have. You can spend hundreds of thousands of $ on machinery, you can have all the best gear out there, if you crew is mediocre you'll never get anywhere.

We've been making a lot of changes lately to improve quality and speed, trying also to do more production. We're getting there but the more money I spend, the more I feel it's the crew that's holding us back.
Being new to screen printing I used to think our gear wasn't right or that the processes weren't working for us but I've been spending lots of time here reading and making some much needed changes in the shop and I'm becoming a lot more critic of the work we make.

It's all about the staff!!

Biggest problem is screen printing is all but dead in my country. You cannot find a single person with experience doing it. Last year I got my M&R installed and the tech told me it was the first in two years he was installing. It's crazy!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:51:14 AM by jvieira »

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2015, 07:30:55 PM »
Biggest problem is screen printing is all but dead in my country. You cannot find a single person with experience doing it. Last year I got my M&R installed and the tech told me it was the first in two years he was installing. It's crazy!

Hey, where are you located? That's crazy. I swear 1 out of 2 people are wearing a printed shirt everywhere I have been lucky to go. Estonia, Indonesia, Panama, and elsewhere

Offline jvieira

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2015, 02:50:00 AM »

Hey, where are you located? That's crazy. I swear 1 out of 2 people are wearing a printed shirt everywhere I have been lucky to go. Estonia, Indonesia, Panama, and elsewhere

Let me rephrase that. AUTOMATIC (big shop) screen printing is dead. No one can afford it. I'm based in Portugal.
Most shops out there have already been doing it for years and they got their seasoned crew but won't let go of them.

Last year I placed two ads asking for people (one in the summer, another in the winter). NOT ONE person with experience applied. It was nuts. I ended up hiring a screen printing hobbyist and it took us 4 months to start producing quality work. The other guy had no idea how screen printing worked. Both people (remember they were recruited at different moments) had to relocate as they lived 300km (almost 200 miles) away.

I dread the moment I need to hire again, that's why I'm holding on to them even if they're not the best out there

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2015, 08:27:23 AM »

Let me rephrase that. AUTOMATIC (big shop) screen printing is dead. No one can afford it. I'm based in Portugal.

Where in Portugal are you? I was there little less than 2 years ago, and went to probably a dozen shops. The smallest one was running 4 autos(they had like 200 heads of embroidery and multiple rhinestone machines). Over half the shops I visited were running a dozen autos. Some of the shops were running 24/7.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline jvieira

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2015, 10:22:22 AM »

Where in Portugal are you? I was there little less than 2 years ago, and went to probably a dozen shops. The smallest one was running 4 autos(they had like 200 heads of embroidery and multiple rhinestone machines). Over half the shops I visited were running a dozen autos. Some of the shops were running 24/7.

What shops were those? Never seen any like those. The biggest i've seen here runs 3 autos. Were those manufacturers or screen printing shops?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2015, 12:12:29 PM »
They were screen printing shops. They did most their work for some chain of stores in the malls out there. They were all in or around Braga and Guimaraes area. It is a large industry up there.  Where are you, more south in the country?
I have a whole thread and post with pics on here somewhere. I'll try to find the link.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline jvieira

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2015, 01:19:44 PM »
I would honestly appreciate that. I made a search with "Portugal" or "Braga" as keywords but couldn't find it. We are further south, yes.

These are probably factories that don't sell to the public. There's a big manufacturer cluster in the north, especially in GuimarĂ£es.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2015, 04:32:03 PM »
Alex

www.twincitytees.com