Author Topic: Kiwo Polycol Discharge Emulsion  (Read 4122 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Kiwo Polycol Discharge Emulsion
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:51:01 PM »
Mike @ (ShirtShackAndMore) turned me onto Kiwo Polycol "Discharge" emulsion a few weeks back, and we got a gallon of it in yesterday... I coated some test screens with it and did some exposure tests...

Holy crap this stuff is FAST.  150S - yellow mesh on the Starlight is exposing to a solid 7 on the stouffer at 11, mostly solid 8 at 14 secs... it's holding great detail during exposure too...

rough test without everything dialed on a 225S, held from 2% up to 95%...  at 8 sec. 

While I'm wondering if it's too fast for our own good, it sure is interesting.

We'll be running some middle of the road discharge and waterbase jobs on the screens thursday or early next week, it'll be interesting to see how well they hold up compared to our "go-to" SP1400.

the test screens reclaimed as easilly as a photopolymer, so I'm really happy about that.

I also have a gallon of Kiwo Multitex coming in as well.  (Trying to find a new 'goto' that's faster than the SP1400, and reclaims easier).

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Re: Kiwo Polycol Discharge Emulsion
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:30:24 PM »
Kiwo discharge was my go to FOREVER!  Love that stuff, but without the diazo, FOR GET IT FOR DISCHARGE.  I am thinking of going back to it now that I have the starlight, let me know how it works out if you use the diazo!  Super curious.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 10:04:25 PM »
Oh... that's not good.... i did not get diazo from them.  I thought they said short run discharge was ok without diazo?

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:48:46 PM »
We tried a new kiwo emulsion recently. It was good, but didn't hold a candle to the Saati PHU. And now that i know there is a PHU 2 (it exposes slower, for finer detail), our screen making has been going super great.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 02:26:46 AM »
I haven't tried the Discharge emulsion. So I have nothing on that.

I have tested a few gallons of the the Multitex "red" & maybe changing it to our everyday emulsion.  It is a good, all around emulsion & seems to handle WB/DC very well, exposes very fast, and works well with LED.  It could be a little better with very fine halftones ( 65lpi and up ).
Although testing was done with the EOM a "bit on the thick side" for halftones ( around 25% ).
Testing done with.
1/1
Round edge
25-30% EOM
Using an M&R Uni-kote

I just got & coated some screens today with the Multitex "blue". I was told it should be the same as the "red" just "blue" but I wanted to do some testing myself in-house.

On a side note:
I also just recently tested the SAATi  PHU and......Daaaaang. I should have tested that stuff a few years back when I first heard about it, but a quart just never seems to be enough to do all the testing I want to do.

Murphy37

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:56:40 AM »
Mike @ (ShirtShackAndMore) turned me onto Kiwo Polycol "Discharge" emulsion a few weeks back, and we got a gallon of it in yesterday... I coated some test screens with it and did some exposure tests...

Holy crap this stuff is FAST.  150S - yellow mesh on the Starlight is exposing to a solid 7 on the stouffer at 11, mostly solid 8 at 14 secs... it's holding great detail during exposure too...

rough test without everything dialed on a 225S, held from 2% up to 95%...  at 8 sec. 

While I'm wondering if it's too fast for our own good, it sure is interesting.

We'll be running some middle of the road discharge and waterbase jobs on the screens thursday or early next week, it'll be interesting to see how well they hold up compared to our "go-to" SP1400.

the test screens reclaimed as easilly as a photopolymer, so I'm really happy about that.

I also have a gallon of Kiwo Multitex coming in as well.  (Trying to find a new 'goto' that's faster than the SP1400, and reclaims easier).

I haven't tried any long runs of discharge yet, the largest so far is 100 pcs.  I do know that I won't add saati hardener to it again unless I have a really long run because there is no reclaiming that screen any longer.   But all in all it's the only emulsion I have in house now. 

How is the I image liking it?   
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:05:13 AM »
I-Image loves it ...  you were right on with the all channels not being an issue...  works perfectly

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:36:36 AM »
great deal!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:38:49 AM »
We have been using it but will be going back to PHU.
Has to be burned perfect out of the gate or it starts to get soft and break down.  I have run 600 pieces with discharge with it and survived but I'm not 100% confident in it but it was set in the sun for about 4 hours.  I know your not supposed to print over the edge of the pallet but did a run of 300 pieces discharge and it broke down within the first 50, the phu would handle this with no problem.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »
Brian, what would you call 'burned perfect' solid 7 or solid 8 on the Stouffer strip?  More?

with how fast this stuff exposes, and seems to be able to be rinsed out I'm wondering if over exposing might not be a bad idea as long as I don't lose detail.

One of our suppliers local is a Saati vendor, might have to get a gallon of PHU in to try next.

-J

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:13 AM »
Brian, what would you call 'burned perfect' solid 7 or solid 8 on the Stouffer strip?  More?

with how fast this stuff exposes, and seems to be able to be rinsed out I'm wondering if over exposing might not be a bad idea as long as I don't lose detail.

One of our suppliers local is a Saati vendor, might have to get a gallon of PHU in to try next.

-J

with standard PHU, we are over exposing with our back bay at 14 seconds. with our light bar, we are getting perfect exposure at around a 60% speed.
PHU2 exposes slightly slower, so we are 22 on the back bay, and 30% on the light bar.

stick it in the sun for 15 mins, and zero breakdown issues. even with poorly coated screens like ours.
Night Owls

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
Any of you guys want a 5 gallon bucket of PHU blue, just send me a ship label and it's yours for free.  ;D

Mike
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 10:07:06 AM »

-J

Be careful on the over exposure.  I know on our weaker led unit as little as 8 seconds over can kill some of the detail.  I can only imagine what a second or 2 on the starlight would do.

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »
Any of you guys want a 5 gallon bucket of PHU blue, just send me a ship label and it's yours for free.  ;D

Mike

i'll take it! just shoot me an email! Eric@nightowlsprint.com
Night Owls

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »
Sorry Eric, somone had pm'd me about 10 mins before your message  :(
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com