Author Topic: cap films vs. indirect films vs. direct emulsion  (Read 5679 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: cap films vs. indirect films vs. direct emulsion
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »
Funny, I read that just the other day.

In my defense I do have a cold and I'm not thinking very clearly. :)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 05:36:26 PM »
This thread reminded me that I bought 50 sheets of ulano's EZ film about 6 months ago and only tried a few sheets.  So I went out there and found the remaining 48 sheets and spent an hour applying about 40 screens worth of film.  We even exposed a few and they work perfectly.  I wish they were cheaper, because they sure are quick and easy to use.  Kind of makes me want to revisit the use of cap film, although I know the answer already.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 06:46:34 PM »
I have a ways to get to this point, but what about building the cost of the cap film into the job?

I had a nutty idea, what about making your own cap film? basically putting a sheet of material (that doesn't stick to emulsion) down with some sort of dams on each side then pour the emulsion in. The viscosity should take care of the flatness. Though it boils down to how much you would spend doing this compared to buying the stuff out right.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 08:45:38 PM »
So, sounds like you just used up the convenience with a whole bunch of work just making each sheet (don't forget that perfectly flat, square, and level work table you built)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline DouglasGrigar

• Can you test, repeat, and measure it? fact or not?
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 06:02:33 PM »
And regarding those 6 emulsions types, throw me some examples here.  What is Aquasol HV for instance?  And then what would it be if you sensitized it with diazo?

I am not familiar with that emulsion so I have some other examples.

QTX - SBQ
POLYCOL ONE-COAT (with the added Diazo) - SBQ/Diazo
QX-1 - SBQ/Photo-Polymer
KIWOCOL 300 - WR - Diazo
POLY-PLUS SWR - Diazo/Photo-Polymer
When there are no standards, you must make them!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Thanks Doug.  Someday I'll take a minute and nerd-out on the sbq thing.  Emulsions are one of those categories where I don't get deep into the nuts and bolts.