Author Topic: Wacom  (Read 3201 times)

Offline tonyt79

Wacom
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:24:36 AM »
I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Wacom or other tablet. I had some extra cash come in and was thinking about going ahead and getting the Wacom Cintig 13HD. Anyone have any experience with these or other versions? Any input would be great.

Offline Underbase37

Re: Wacom
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:28:37 AM »
I absolutely love my Wacom tablet. Takes a bit of getting used to. But well worth it.

Murphy37

Offline tonyt79

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:42:53 AM »
I absolutely love my Wacom tablet. Takes a bit of getting used to. But well worth it.

Murphy37
Which one do you have?

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:52:52 AM »
An Intuos 4. Its an older one. A artist buddy of mine gave it to me when he upgraded.   

Murphy37

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
I had one for years, but honestly I found I just wasn't using it very much.  I can see the use of one of the super high end ones where you are drawing on the actual screen, but I always felt disconnected from the art using mine.  I also had the Intuos 4.

Honestly, I prefer drawing on paper and scanning, then using the pen tool etc.  To each their own of course.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »
I have used mine for about 6 years now, it's on the smaller side, 4"x6" working area but I will be upgrading really soon. I want what I have now, but bigger and I can't seem to find anything close... I also had a bamboo cheapy 60.00 unit for my laptop and it sucked. the sensitivity settings were terrible.. Buy extra pens (stylus) with whatever you get. you'll need them.  I think they are well worth it, spend a good buck and buy a nice one, stay away from the cheapy's...but everyone likes what they like, it just takes some getting used to.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline starchild

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:23:17 AM »
I've got an Intuos 4 and a Yiynova MVP10UHD+IPS graphics display  tablet. The difference is night and day between hand and eye  coordination of using a graphics tablet versus using a drawing tablet.
Consider these brands
Yiynova
Huion
Bosto kingtee
Monoprice

Any of these will improve quality of life.. uh.. I mean work process, over an intuos..

Another consideration is getting the lazy nezumi line stablizer plugin for what ever app you do your graphics in.

Sent using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:39:02 AM by starchild »

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 10:42:41 AM »
I completely agree.  Having the lcd (or whatever) on the tablet fixes a lot of the issues with these kinds of things, but obviously costs more.  You really do have to consider the sensitivity and resolution etc as well.  I have tried a few of the cheapo ones and the lines end up super jittery and basically need to be redrawn with the pen tool anyway, so you don't gain anything.

Offline starchild

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 11:03:45 AM »
I completely agree.  Having the lcd (or whatever) on the tablet fixes a lot of the issues with these kinds of things, but obviously costs more.  You really do have to consider the sensitivity and resolution etc as well.  I have tried a few of the cheapo ones and the lines end up super jittery and basically need to be redrawn with the pen tool anyway, so you don't gain anything.

That's why you get  lazy nezumi.. (Even if you're using a Cintiq you'll benefit) I've logged hundreds of hours before getting the line stabilizer and my lines were already  to grade.. Im pushing at 1000 hours using my graphics display..

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 11:20:07 AM »
I use a monoprice, cheap and works.   

I think you gain the most efficiency at work using the models that have integrated touch pads,  no awkward swapping between pen and mouse. Going to get one of those soon I think.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline tonyt79

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »
My thoughts on the cintiq 13 is that it will mostly be used with my laptop and with it being a smaller version it will be more portable. That way I can work at the shop or at home.

Online bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »
 "I want what I have now, but bigger"

I know the feeling Jay
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline tonyt79

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 10:34:36 PM »
I ended up getting the cintiq 13. It's pretty sweet! And small enough it can be mobile with my laptop.

Offline starchild

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
Sweet.. The configurable express keys are super cool.. It takes some getting use to them though.. Another cool/relax way to work if you are using photoshop is to use adobe configurator to create a custom panel with all your regularly used tools and commands and have it floating in your work area in close shot to your pen so so most execution will always be a pen action. The express keys can be secondary executions.. Shift Alt Ctrl Save Step Backward Step Forward and such. Flipping the pen to use eraser is tiresome so adding the eraser to your custom panel will help that. the front stylus button is excellent as a right click. The back button on the stylus is quirky to reach and gets in the way when the stylus rolls between your fingers as you work and triggers off unwanted actions. I disable mines. Let's see.. I don't use gloves (we gully) but I do have a screen cleaner.. The screen heats up but it won't bother you it's forgotten because you're focused on your graphics work.. Oh and most important.. if it's lcd, beware of screen burn in.. (your lcd can experience ghosting of your wall papper or opened widows) Avoid allowing the computer to go to sleep with the cintiq on, without a screen saver. (I never knew those. silly bobbing up and down and all over, had a purpose)

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline tonyt79

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 04:04:19 PM »
Sweet.. The configurable express keys are super cool.. It takes some getting use to them though.. Another cool/relax way to work if you are using photoshop is to use adobe configurator to create a custom panel with all your regularly used tools and commands and have it floating in your work area in close shot to your pen so so most execution will always be a pen action. The express keys can be secondary executions.. Shift Alt Ctrl Save Step Backward Step Forward and such. Flipping the pen to use eraser is tiresome so adding the eraser to your custom panel will help that. the front stylus button is excellent as a right click. The back button on the stylus is quirky to reach and gets in the way when the stylus rolls between your fingers as you work and triggers off unwanted actions. I disable mines. Let's see.. I don't use gloves (we gully) but I do have a screen cleaner.. The screen heats up but it won't bother you it's forgotten because you're focused on your graphics work.. Oh and most important.. if it's lcd, beware of screen burn in.. (your lcd can experience ghosting of your wall papper or opened widows) Avoid allowing the computer to go to sleep with the cintiq on, without a screen saver. (I never knew those. silly bobbing up and down and all over, had a purpose)

Sent using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. I have a lot to learn with it. Trying to transition to more photoshop and illustrator. I'm 95% corel now.