Author Topic: this should be an easy one...  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
this should be an easy one...
« on: May 14, 2015, 03:35:27 PM »
...but I'm a dumbass
It's that "R" that makes it it.
(That upside down "V" is kinda cool)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
Re: this should be an easy one...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 12:14:08 PM »
I suggest "Minion Pro", but you have to erase the cross bar on the "A".
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 12:24:02 PM »
Cool thanks. I did notice that in some fonts, the "V" is wider than the "A" so just flipping it doesn't work.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 05:49:18 PM »
Cool thanks. I did notice that in some fonts, the "V" is wider than the "A" so just flipping it doesn't work.

actually, in this font I just flip the "V"
thanks again

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 07:56:38 PM »
Andy, have you tried the free download of Find My Font? I got it a couple of weeks ago after I read about it in a post (I think it was yours...) and I'm amazed at how well it works. Unlike What the Font, it will provide links to all the similar (or identical) fonts it can find online, and specifies whether each one is a commercial or free font, AND it will also find all the fonts that you have installed on your computer that are similar (or identical.)

I've already used the program numerous times. I think the free version expires after awhile, but if the purchase price is reasonable I'm planning to buy it.

Raster to vector conversion

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:12:24 PM »
Andy, have you tried the free download of Find My Font? I got it a couple of weeks ago after I read about it in a post (I think it was yours...) and I'm amazed at how well it works. Unlike What the Font, it will provide links to all the similar (or identical) fonts it can find online, and specifies whether each one is a commercial or free font, AND it will also find all the fonts that you have installed on your computer that are similar (or identical.)

I've already used the program numerous times. I think the free version expires after awhile, but if the purchase price is reasonable I'm planning to buy it.

$50
So, we'll expect you to be answering more of these queries in the future.
Yep, it's a great program, and well worth the few bucks to anyone (younger than me still planning on slingin' ink for a few more years)
Then again, to those who remember, how long have I talked about retiring?

For those who are interested in what Rip's talking about, it's http://www.findmyfont.com/index.php/download/download-free-edition
The commercial version you'll need after 30 days is, like I said, $50

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 08:24:17 PM »
$50 is a little steep (for some reason I couldn't find the price on the website...) The What the Font forum has guys that will usually identify fonts immediately, no matter how obscure they are. Then you need to do the work of trying to find a free version or an acceptable substitute, but it can be done with a little effort.

Find My Font is very convenient...but I don't know if I'll spend $50 on it to save myself a little research here and there.

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 08:29:50 PM »
Check out this website: http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/fonts/a/lookalikefonts.htm

If you know the name of a commercial font it will give you a list of substitute fonts that you can download free.

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 10:58:41 PM »
There are a couple of tweaks I applied to the jpg. to help in identification.  As presented, it was too pale or light to be able to highlight specific letters so I opened it in PS and performed a color replacement to make the letters black and also upped the resolution. THEN find my font was able to work.
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.