Author Topic: Getting your kids involved at work  (Read 4445 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Getting your kids involved at work
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »
Speaking of game our oldest son is about to get a rude awaken from us about his gaming, sad to say we are at fault because we let it happen when he was very young and now he is in his twenties, but we did have them work in the shop when they were young and still get there help from time to time now when one is no in college and the other not at his own job.  Needless to say neither one will be taking over the biz because they have no interest in it at all.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 01:14:04 PM »
My kids are all young enough that they still think of it as a reward to come to work. I let them wash screens (with help) or stack shirts at the end of the dryer. They really love to help when they can. I usually will treat them to a nice dinner out or ice cream... I can't wait until they are a little older and I can put some real responsibility on them.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 03:15:54 PM »
  I started in my dad's garage shop at 14. Back then we would print plastisol transfers
and put them in the kitchen oven for a short time to "cure" them. At age 30, my daughter
came to my shop but had to leave because of reaction to chemicals I paid her and she
loved. Now at 62 my grandson simply loves to come to work with me on weekends I have
to work and can't wait until he is old enough to really do some printing.

RGB

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 05:47:42 PM »
    Those games are a job to these kids, And the skillset of saidwith is WAYYYY beyond anything (most of us) grew up with....Yes we had jobs @11, but that was not dealing with Computers, files, programing, Roms (ect.) The equipment today is dependent on such skills....I would be of the opinion you would be doing them a grave disservice by telling them "Games are a waste of time".
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:49:57 PM by RGB »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 09:38:23 PM »
playing games doesn't equal programming just like driving a car doesn't make you a mechanic.

a little time here and there is fine, but it seems like more of an addiction when that is the feeder bar they are constantly hitting for a treat.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 11:15:48 PM »
I can remember a time or a span of about 2 years where I was addicted to hanging out with my friends and playing Nintendo Frogger and Pitfall. I grew out of it but it was intoxicating. We played for hours a day till we mastered it. Then we moved on to chicks and got a drivers license and that was it for the games.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

RGB

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 02:39:34 AM »
    You played for hours a day until you mastered it, and cant relate that level of commitment to any of this????....Husband, Father, Grand pappy, Artist. Co owner of The Shirt Board, owner of Dot-Tone Designs apparel sales, Digital tech installer for ST, STE, STE2 machines for M&R, freelance artist and color separator of all levels, Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »
    You played for hours a day until you mastered it, and cant relate that level of commitment to any of this?

<snipped, for mercy...not brevity>

:o

That looked kind of harsh through these bifocals, grasshoppah.

There is a certain "mastery" in making one's own crack pipe too.

Like opiates, computer games are BIG business. And merciless to the unwary.

Methinks you are assigning far too much value to what are little more than the addictive behaviors of self-indulgent youth.

Just my 2 cents on this (off topic) rabbit trail.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:25:33 AM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

RGB

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 01:20:32 PM »
 **Last post on subject**.... Big business = Big money.