Author Topic: Structural engineers?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Structural engineers?
« on: May 05, 2015, 07:08:58 PM »
Now I know many of us have left such prestigious jobs as; doctors, astronauts and engineers to become screen printers because let's face it, that's really where its at! ;) I'm wondering if anybody has any experience or knowledge about how much weight a traditional floor can support? Unlike a lot of you I am not fortunate enough to have a cement floor throughout my building, 3/4 of it is wood.

I believe I may have just figured out with a configuration that would allow us to upgrade. The main drawback is I would need to move 2 autos and a dryer all onto the wood floor....

If I got serious about this I would obviously hire a structural engineer to check the whole project out. I was more hoping of just getting a rough idea if it's even possible to begin with. Not sure if anybody has any experience with something like this or would know anything about it, figured I'd ask!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Structural engineers?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:25:43 PM »
Not and engineer but did build homes for awhile,  your floor might can support the weight of a couple of auto's, but then there is the added weight of movement and the ever changing size of of people in the area at one time.  If there is any way of adding support post under your floor around where the auto's might sit would be a very good idea, how many floors are you up?  A  single floor you should be good the higher your up the more the weight tends to be.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 07:34:27 PM »
If you are on a first floor and there is a basement simply transfer the load to the foundation / basement floor with a sufficient amount od relatively cheap jack posts. Install a cross beam and throw in some of these babies.
 http://www.lowes.com/pd_210140-46417-J+C84_0__?productId=3201385
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 07:35:14 PM »
Measure the floor joist, spacing and span. With that info you can tell what the floor will handle. Example, max live load spruce pine fir 40 lbs per sq ft dead load 10 lbs per sq ft 2x12 on 16" centers max span 19' Wood floors have give and that red press of yours will not like the bouncing.
Installed a press in a shop that was an old gym in a school with wood floors with about 6' of head room underneith. The basement floor was dirt, dug 4 holes and put 24" sonic tubes in directly under the 4 feet of the press, filled with cement. Then put jacking post on top of the cement and jacked against the floor. Slid a 3/8 steel plate under the press and through bolted the feet through the plate and into the jacking post. Took the bounce right out of the press.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:57:38 PM »
The red press would be OUT! And the replacement/other one has no bounce at all. It is all on the first floor, and pretty sure the floor joists are 2*10's may be 2*12's actually. I'll snap some pics and measurements tomorrow.

Again, I'm not taking anyone word as final call so don't worry about being liable! ;) just some "extended thinking out loud"

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 09:12:47 PM »
OK I know I was supposed to get this info a few days ago, but so for my life...

The floor joists are 2*12's(1.5"*11") and are 16" on center. They sit on horizontal steal I beams which then connect to vertical I beams that go to the concrete floor. Pics below (duhhhhh). My thought is to be safe I may face nail new 2*12's on the old ones(1948).

Thoughts? Aside from the basement being messy.

Alex

www.twincitytees.com