Author Topic: Do you work on your own website?  (Read 7423 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Do you work on your own website?
« on: September 16, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »
Do you work on your own website?

I am not much for working on or learning to work on my website. It's not been very interesting to go to. Maybe I'm missing something. It's hosted by lance aka Calibrated and he's not interested in getting paid to build it up for me.

Maybe I'd get more business if I had it going well. Do I want to be slammed?  I don't know. I'm pretty happy now. It's not like..if I get busier, I can hire someone to help sep. Who's got time to learn to build up a website?

Do any of you build your own and maintain it?

Did you lean just for that purpose (of maintaining your own) or were you already interested in building websites as part of an income?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:48:35 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Do you work on your own website?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:51:02 PM »
I'm in a similar boat. I have a book on Joomla, now if I only could read it and understand it.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 02:54:12 PM »
I'm in a similar boat. I have a book on Joomla, now if I only could read it and understand it.

LOL.

If the site is set up right, maintaining it is not big of a deal. :)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »
It maintains itself. What it doesn't do is update and change itself.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:02:41 PM »
I did mine. I've got an overhaul in the works in an attempt to make it more visible and get rid of some stuff I don't think helps. Can't say that I enjoy doing it. The part that pisses me off is getting stuff to not shift around as you make adjustments. I use Dreamweaver for layout. It ain't exactly like using InDesign.
I bought a book on doing the whole thing in Photoshop, but I don't think that lends itself to adding text that'll be picked up by search engines, so I struggle with Dreamweaver. Easy enough to edit and upload changes, though.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »
I did mine. I've got an overhaul in the works in an attempt to make it more visible and get rid of some stuff I don't think helps. Can't say that I enjoy doing it. The part that pisses me off is getting stuff to not shift around as you make adjustments. I use Dreamweaver for layout. It ain't exactly like using InDesign.
I bought a book on doing the whole thing in Photoshop, but I don't think that lends itself to adding text that'll be picked up by search engines, so I struggle with Dreamweaver. Easy enough to edit and upload changes, though.

I just checked yours out. Thats a pretty good site.  I like what you've done. The logo (actual photo's) of someone wearing your logo tee is a good idea.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »

LOL.

If the site is set up right, maintaining it is not big of a deal. :)

I'm using Joomla.  It's a bit clunky. I think my problem is that I don't want just a page or three showing my info.  I need a whol virtual store and I don't get all of these separate programs within the site to do everything. It;s like, to use a image viewer, (I need to learn that specific set up). If I want to play vids, I need to learn how to use that as well. It's all created by different people and nothing is set up the same way.

I want a more complex site. It's more irritating than I like to deal with and hiring someone has been allover the place in price.  I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay someone I think.

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 03:47:06 PM »
I build and maintain all my sites.. about 24 of them. I've been doing it since Adobe only had pagemill....
I use flash, dreamweaver, fireworks,Photoshop, illustrator.

I have sites built completely on flash, css, html ( Dynamic & Static) and of cource my platform of choice is JOOMLA 8)

been using it since it was called Mambo & you had to manually install it....
Mostly because it is so quick to set up.... Templates can be created in PS & dreamweaver and there are so many easy to use plugins to make the server side interactive user interface killer!!!!

I do all my own SEO  & I rule the local market!
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »
I did my own. Before printing shirts I designed websites for my design clients. It’s not something you want to just sit down and try to learn. I use photoshop to design the website and then cut it up and take it all into Dreamweaver. It takes a long time and you can spend hours trying to fix something as small as alignment. If you spend the time and learn, you can make a ton of money but customers are a pain. It’s hard to justify the amount of hours it takes and you will never be able to explain it to the client. I will not do websites for anyone. I used to charge $1250 to $2500 for basic informational websites. There is money there but getting the information to put on the site from people takes longer then building the site. Then you have the rounds and rounds of edits. There is no end, websites are never done.

Offline Artelf2xs

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 03:59:35 PM »
Dan, Several of the best Joomla developers are working on platforms that make the whole experience a lot easier...
Within the template you can build your own apps like image carousals forms etc.
Here are two...

Zoo by Yoo themes  http://www.yootheme.com/zoo/
And Gantry by Rocket themes here in Golden Colorado ( Lance uses them)
http://www.gantry-framework.org/?platform=joomla

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »

Frog you just got to take a hit of chronic and it all makes sense..... 8)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 04:11:08 PM »
Step one is to put the book in my office, you know, the room with the white porcelain throne.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »
I built it and run it, http://www.freshbakedprinting.com

Took awhile to get it up and going but now that it's going, it's pretty easy to maintain.
I did (do) struggle with some of the cross-browser compatiablity, but most of the site feedback I get is pretty positive.

It's not rocket science but it does require a certain level of commitment (and study) to see it through.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Artelf2xs

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »
http://www.freshbakedprinting.com

The rollover toast is kinda fun... Those .png's really load slow tho..... My tshirtillustrator.com  site is all png.... uhg but they look so much better then a transparent gif, Huh.

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »
Step one is to put the book in my office, you know, the room with the white porcelain throne.

:)
Ain't that the truth.