Author Topic: Need some advice on this artwork  (Read 2714 times)

Offline mhprinting

• Verified/Junior
Need some advice on this artwork
« on: April 10, 2015, 06:39:05 PM »
Hello all,

I need some help on the particular job.  Attached is the image.  The separations are okay, but I'm not sure if they are good seps.
Here are the colors we will be using:
-Red
-Metallic Silver
-White base
-Black
-Yellow

I will be using all wilflex inks and this will be printed on a diamondback s.

Any suggestions with what mesh I should use and how to do this job?  I'm considering outsourcing the seps to someone else as I am still fairly new.

Thanks!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Need some advice on this artwork
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 08:05:58 PM »
I'm not going to make any mesh or even print order suggestions, but can tell you that this is essentially already separated except for the fact that its creator used two different blacks, RGB, and Hexachrome. Other than that (an easy fix) it is all spot colors which will spit out as plates when you tell your printer to do so via your graphics program.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 10:40:09 PM »
I see this as a white, yellow, red, black

I come up with a halftone black for the pot and borders.  I guess you could do silver, but I don't think it's necessary.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:43:20 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 11:41:42 PM »

I come up with a halftone black for the pot and borders.  I guess you could do silver, but I don't think it's necessary.

If the folks want and expect silver, then a halftone gray (or even a spot color cool gray) ain't gonna cut it.

Offline tonyt79

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 11:51:50 PM »

I think the pot is almost the focal point of the image. I don't think halftone would work on that

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 11:58:24 PM »
Here's another question. 

If this is going on white shirts, no need to print the white, making it a red, yellow, pot-grey, and black.

Obviously, it's what was sold to the custy. 

I was only working with the minimal info given and I do try to keep my screens to the minimum, if possible.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 12:31:12 AM »
Color of shirt would us help you. If navy or dark color under base all of it. Everything will pop then. What are you using for a program corel or adobe ?? The attached is cleaned up.
Shane

Offline mhprinting

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:59:27 AM »
These will be going on a sapphire, heather green, and electric green shirts.  The customer wants the pot to be metallic silver.  Wherever there is grey in the image, the client wants metallic silver.  I did the art through corel x6.  It's going to be all spot colors.  Are there any areas in the art I should change or is it good to go?  What mesh do you guys recommend me using?

Thanks!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 03:15:19 PM »
I tend to shoot my underbase at about a 75% halftone with 168-190 mesh and top coats at 230 mesh for spot colors.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 03:42:32 PM »
If you're printing wilflex liquid silver, you're gonna want to flash it and put a layer of soft hand clear or other clear on top so it doesn't tarnish after the first or 2nd wash.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »
If you're printing wilflex liquid silver, you're gonna want to flash it and put a layer of soft hand clear or other clear on top so it doesn't tarnish after the first or 2nd wash.

Or use a shimmer. I changed over years ago for almost all gold and silver jobs (and the occasional copper)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 07:28:06 PM »
Oh, I forgot the metallic requirement.  Won't the shimmer require a more open mesh?

Offline mhprinting

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 10:51:58 AM »
I'm thinking of using the Liquid Silver, but I've never used it before.  Any tips?  Also, the submitted artwork underbased the liquid silver, is that okay?  I'm thinking of using either an 86 or 110 mesh for the liquid silver.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
we've had good results with liquid silver even through 156mesh... but like I mentioned above... you will likely want to put a coat of softhand clear on top of it, as it does like to tarnish after being washed a few times, and ends up at a very muted almost non-metallic grey.

looks awesome after printing tho...