Author Topic: Need reccomendation for cheap, quick art clean up  (Read 3359 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Need reccomendation for cheap, quick art clean up
« on: April 09, 2015, 06:43:34 PM »
I have shirts to do for a 5K and have they typical back of sponsors jpg logos. The place I've been using is quick (24 hrs) and cheap (typically $10-25). I sent them the file and they are telling me $10 x 15 logos ($150). I quoted the order a little lower as a friend of mine is putting this together and told them no charge on the artwork. I figured it would be $25.

So.....who has recommendations for me? I know I've read some posts where people get these priced as one order.

Thanks!

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Need reccomendation for cheap, quick art clean up
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 07:39:47 PM »
Fiverr???

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »
On the other hand, a simple invoice for art re-creation has usually gotten me a decent file.

I'll bet that almost every sponsor has had other things printed, from business cards to vehicle wraps. They have the damn files!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:48:13 PM »
Royster, is Fiver a company?

Frog,

Unfortunately, I spoke sooner than I should have and told them not to worry about the art fee and I'd waive it and have it cleaned up and properly laid out. I'm not going to go back on my word. I thought I'd be eating $25, not $150. Lesson learned for next time. I know the companies must have vector logos, but getting my customer to contact their customers, etc. I have about a week to turn these out before their event. But agreed, THEY HAVE THE DAMN FILES!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:00:57 PM »
Another suggestion for any of the sponsors who may be big companies would be the logo sites like Brands of the World and Logotypes.

Then, you also may have luck tracing some yourself with either Adobe's or Corel's products. Perhaps you can at least whittle those 15 down a bit.

Onewithpez

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 09:06:18 PM »
Contact Abro Creations. I rarely pay more then $8 per vector image or digitized file. You may be able to negotiate a better price if you send all 15 at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flash Ink

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 12:40:15 PM »
I am a big fan of Artwork Source. I usually gang all the garbage jpgs together on one file and send them that. I get stuff back in less than 20 hours and its usually $15, but for something like that I would expect to pay about $40. Which, to me, for a couple of mouse clicks and no headache of terrible graphics is worth it.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »
copyartwork.com has been great for us... we use them all the time, and just send them whatever art files the customer sent us, and sometimes we'll gang as well...

$14 and it gets turned around within 24 hours.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »
We normally print logo's on the back in grayscale one color ink because there are so many that way no one's logo out shines the other plus it's a little cheaper...photoshop hit grayscale done, maybe not that easy but you get the picture.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »
using vector magic..i can get that many logos done in a hour or maybe a little more.

1 out of 20 logos we get from local businesses are usable..LOL

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Need reccomendation for cheap, quick art clean up
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 04:40:03 PM »
We normally print logo's on the back in grayscale one color ink because there are so many that way no one's logo out shines the other plus it's a little cheaper...photoshop hit grayscale done, maybe not that easy but you get the picture.
3deep, the problem often with many of these sponsor logos, is crappy low resolution scans or copies of  business cards! And grayscale versions of crap are still crap. And no matter who supplies the crap, it's us who look bad..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »
I didn't have time to do much leg work and quote around. I sent it to 24 hour artwork for a quote and they came back with $56. I went with it. I figure I was planning on eating $25 to not do the artwork, I'll eat another $26 to save the time of sending it out to a few different people and wait for the quotes to come back. Still a little more than I was hoping to spend, but a lot more palatable than $150!

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably send it to a couple of the places listed for a quote when I have a moment just to see where the best pricing would have lied. These were all really simple logos and a quick live trace cleaned up a couple. I've had some pretty detail large things done for $25. This really seemed like less work. Then again, this is coming from the person who doesn't do them.

Good recommendation on brands of the world Frog. Unfortunately, these were almost all small local places, with the exception of one. But I have used that site before. Great resource.

As always, you guys rock!

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 01:18:23 PM »
The way I look at it is I make my profit on press. If I have to spend an hour recreating logos for a job that I'll make several hundred dollars on, so be it. It's my decision to do it anyway. I could just use the low res stuff the customer sends and tell them that's the best I could do, but then I'd feel crappy knowing that I could have done a better job and the customer will be less than 100% satisfied with their shirts. Lose-lose situation.

Raster to vector conversion

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 03:26:26 PM »
The way I look at it is I make my profit on press. If I have to spend an hour recreating logos for a job that I'll make several hundred dollars on, so be it. It's my decision to do it anyway. I could just use the low res stuff the customer sends and tell them that's the best I could do, but then I'd feel crappy knowing that I could have done a better job and the customer will be less than 100% satisfied with their shirts. Lose-lose situation.

This falls into another question I have floating in my head. When I do separation jobs, probably 50% of them are always jpgs or pdf files created from jpgs or psd files with jpgs placed in for art. SO, often times, I will clean up jobs at no charge. Most times for that goup of low quality images, they don't separate out and show well in the seps.

The question is, as a separator service, I assume we separators should only be providing seps (of what I've been provided by the printers). In other words, that $15.00 charge per color is just to create the separations (of what I have been provided). No clean up, no re-drawing or airbrushing to make things smoother. Still, mind you, have my jobs are like this...and that's a lot of extra time going uncharged for.

For example, just last night, I did a job that was only for 40 shirts. Customer was very cautious about adding in another color (keeping cost down). The art provided as a pdf or rather a jpg of some corporate designed art that looked good at one time, saved up on the internet...then pulled down from internet to saved as a PDF. Happens all the time.

So, I want my customer to have a great print. I hate or can't let the customer print crappy art that was provided. It's a catch 22. So in this case, knowing the customer only has 40 shirts, is concerned about color count, I decided not to charge extra. In the end tho, I ended up making about what the McDonalds employees are fighting for now.

Again tho, this happens often so I work probably a 3rd more than other separators for the same $ or less because I can only (I assume) that they just sep what they get as they are supposed to. Again, as a sep career, it in and of it'self is not a GREAT career but I guess that's if I do it as I have been.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850