Author Topic: methods to quickly dry a screen  (Read 6007 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: methods to quickly dry a screen
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »

Discharge?  Yeah, there is no quick process for that if you don't want immediate breakdown.

A properly exposed diazo screen can go from rinse to the press still wet and print 10k impressions or more, done it to many times to count.

Now if youre using some of the new hybrid polymer stuff then yes you have to post expose or apply hardener Or whatever magic one does in their shop.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »
with SP1400 I have started to use a window squeegee immediately, then papertowel/shirt/whatever quickly around the frame, then within five minutes it is bone dry on my rack (screen is placed vertical under fans) with a dehumifier in the drying room.  No hardener, no post expose, and no waiting.  I have yet to have the SP1400 break down on me, though most of my runs are smaller.  I have one set of screen that I have printed on 4 different times and about 800 prints total (not counting test prints) that is a 4 color discharge job.  They look good as new.  My light is crap too compared to what most of you are exposing with.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »
we only had issues with SP1400 in the winter when it was too dry in the shop.

did 20,000 prints on 1 set (5) of screens with no break down issues what-so-ever.  Screens looked like they could have gone another 20k no problem. -- this was with plastisol.

I think our longest discharge run is 4500 right now, and those screens looked just fine too.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 01:04:42 AM »
We remove excess water using the methods described, vacuum, air, etc.
We then put the screen in the front of the oven, not letting it go in too far.    Pull in out put in again and again until it is dry. We can also speed up  the belt and run it  the screen through the oven very fast.
Another thing we do is put the screen under our flash unit for the manual, lay it on the group under the flash so it's about a yard under the flash head.
We also do this with freshly coated screens, dry the emulsion and then expose.
We do this in a well lit factory, it's against all the rules but it works when you're in a jam.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 02:07:27 AM »
Also, be careful not to use too much heat when speed drying. Excessive heat will melt and warp the plastic locking strips strips on your Newmans and on your Shur-Loc panels. I learned this when I put a bunch of screens in the drying cabinet and turned the heat to 10.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 08:51:50 PM »
A dehumidifyer is a shops best friend.  Place it in a closed room when you open shop and run it for an hour or two and your golden.  Place a wet screen in front and it will be dry in about a minute or less depending on the size unit.  Well worth the price yet should be able to find the fairly cheap @ sears. 

Richard Reilly - Fluid

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 11:43:45 AM »
We use statics so we don't have this problem.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Screen Medics

• Verified/Junior
Re: Fast method to quickly dry a screen
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 01:53:39 AM »
A really fast way to cut time drying screens is using a Master Blaster Car Dryer.  It produces 8 horsepower of clean heated filtered air delivered through about a 2 inch hose.  It is extremely fast but not so hot you need be concerned about burning overheating anything.
It comes with 2 - 4 horsepower electric motors with individual switches so the air output can be varied.  It has a wall mount available so it could be wall hung near your screen reclamation area.
See the link below for more information about it.
http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-MB3CD-Blaster-Motorcycle/dp/B0002SPCGC/ref=sr_1_2/185-0868810-1593604?ie=UTF8&qid=1429681213&sr=8-2&keywords=master+blaster+dryer.

Offline willy35

• www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 03:17:43 AM »
with SP1400 I have started to use a window squeegee immediately, then papertowel/shirt/whatever quickly around the frame, then within five minutes it is bone dry on my rack (screen is placed vertical under fans) with a dehumifier in the drying room.  No hardener, no post expose, and no waiting.  I have yet to have the SP1400 break down on me, though most of my runs are smaller.  I have one set of screen that I have printed on 4 different times and about 800 prints total (not counting test prints) that is a 4 color discharge job.  They look good as new.  My light is crap too compared to what most of you are exposing with.

I have to thank you for the window squeegee trick, why I didn't thought about it sooner !
www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
San Gen Shugi - real place (Gen-ba), real part (Gen-butsu), reality (Gen-jitsu)

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 10:46:51 AM »
I just wipe it off with a T-shirt and set it in front of a fan. It will be dry in about ten minutes (but I'm in Colorado and our humidity is low here...)
Raster to vector conversion

Offline jvieira

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2015, 12:41:31 PM »
A properly exposed diazo screen can go from rinse to the press still wet and print 10k impressions or more, done it to many times to count.

wait, what? is this for real? we wash it, use a wet/dry vacuum. would that be enough? it would save us just so much time!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2015, 12:54:57 PM »
I wouldn't use a wet screen unless you have to...tape won't stick to it for one so good luck masking off the edges of the screen and any regular marks. Takes literally 5 minutes under a fan with the window squeegee first.

Offline jvieira

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »
It was too good to be true ;)

Still found a new trick.

Wash - wet/dry vaccum - compressed air - dry for 5 minutes

Should be enough to have a fully dried screen ready to use. Better than our old 30 minute waiting time

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Eric:

What do you need to do to your screen besides apply water resistant block out?

Is your screen ready to go on press once that is dry?

Or do you have other steps as well?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.