Author Topic: Split Fountain, rotated  (Read 1794 times)

Offline redwoodtees

Split Fountain, rotated
« on: September 02, 2015, 04:27:04 PM »
If you wanted to print a split fountain, but rotated 90 degrees on the shirt (e.g. the gradient runs from top to bottom instead of left to right), how would you go about it? I'll make it more complicated: What if it's a multi-screen print (e.g. split fountain followed by some highlight layers). I have a manual carousel.. I have not tried, but in theory I could mount screens sideways (maybe in every other head). Then I'd have to make some kind of platen, and figure out how to hold the shirt to the platen.

Any tips or tricks?

Chris

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Split Fountain, rotated
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 04:44:03 PM »
When I first started, we had a Vaster on which the squeegees were mounted in handles, that attached to a T bar (with bearings) that ran across the shirt left to right instead of up and down as normal. For a simple 2c, say red on the bottom and blue on the top, it worked pretty well. Later on, we just started doing the same thing with halftones and multiple screens. You don't have to mount anything sideways, just set the art up to do what you want and print normally.

steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 04:54:45 PM »
U used to run a lot of split fountain designs, and when I wanted he split/blend going horizontal, I just squeegee'd in that orientation.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
When I first started, we had a Vaster on which the squeegees were mounted in handles, that attached to a T bar (with bearings) that ran across the shirt left to right instead of up and down as normal. For a simple 2c, say red on the bottom and blue on the top, it worked pretty well. Later on, we just started doing the same thing with halftones and multiple screens. You don't have to mount anything sideways, just set the art up to do what you want and print normally.

steve

That sounds crazy! Would like to see one of those. Did you have to go between the pallets to pull the print sideways? We rarely do split fountains anymore, easier & more consistent to halftone it & be done. That way you don't get blending issues or ink wastage. I think we tried printing sideways once... No dice, pretty awkward if you have to do a lot of them. I do love me some split fountain posters though. I think they're much better suited for flat stock.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »
I posted a while ago about one I did that was with discharge inks.  That was a giant pain in the ass because of how runny they were and having to keep the screen more or less level the whole time. I have done it a few times now with plastisol and it is a breeze as long as you arent using super runny inks. 

The main tips are:
-add small amounts of the ink frequently
-attach a clamp to the side of the frame where the squeegee can rest at the right height sideways so it doesnt move down from the fountain and muddy your colors
-bring the screen down and print from the side

It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it...

Offline redwoodtees

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »
I posted a while ago about one I did that was with discharge inks.  That was a giant pain in the ass because of how runny they were and having to keep the screen more or less level the whole time. I have done it a few times now with plastisol and it is a breeze as long as you arent using super runny inks. 

Yeah, I guess I should have made that one of my conditions.. I am looking for a solution for super runny discharge inks :)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 06:02:59 PM »
Not gonna happen.  You will have to keep the screen parallel to the print surface or you will get shift due to gravity.  Your best bet is going to be halftones.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 06:21:21 PM »
We do horizontal split fountains on our side clamp Chameleon, but with plastisol.  We just rested the screen on the edge of the neighbouring platen to avoid running.

With runny inks... You're on your own!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »

steve

That sounds crazy! Would like to see one of those. Did you have to go between the pallets to pull the print sideways? We rarely do split fountains anymore, easier & more consistent to halftone it & be done. That way you don't get blending issues or ink wastage. I think we tried printing sideways once... No dice, pretty awkward if you have to do a lot of them. I do love me some split fountain posters though. I think they're much better suited for flat stock.

Picture yourself in front of the press, hold you right hand out straight in front of you as if you were holding a piece of 1" pipe, pointing directly forward; that bar went to the back of the screen holder, where the "t" horizontal part was a set of bearings riding on a piece of steel. Below the handle was the squeegee holder, and the squeegee was perpendicular (hee, hee, I said dicular) to the front and back of the screen. So, you would put your hand on the handle and print left to right, or vice versa. I tried to find a pic online, but no luck. I'll see if I have any photos at home, but bear in mind that it was 1975...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 05:30:49 AM »
like this

Offline redwoodtees

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »
Nice print Tony. how was it made?