Author Topic: Raised/Puff Embroidery?  (Read 2012 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Raised/Puff Embroidery?
« on: March 24, 2015, 04:15:51 PM »
I have a client who wants an effect similar to this: http://image.dhgate.com/albu_470186592_00-1.0x0/kids-superman-costume-embroidered-hat-blue.jpg

Their design is just a bunch of dots of different sizes, but they want it to look raised or bubbled, like half spheres coming off the hat.

Honestly, I'm not even sure how to ask for this with embroidery places.  What is this effect called?  How does the pricing compare with standard embroidery?  Anyone do this stuff in house, I'd prefer throwing work toward a TSB member.

Any and all info appreciated as always.  Thanks!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Raised/Puff Embroidery?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »
I have a client who wants an effect similar to this: http://image.dhgate.com/albu_470186592_00-1.0x0/kids-superman-costume-embroidered-hat-blue.jpg

Their design is just a bunch of dots of different sizes, but they want it to look raised or bubbled, like half spheres coming off the hat.

Honestly, I'm not even sure how to ask for this with embroidery places.  What is this effect called?  How does the pricing compare with standard embroidery?  Anyone do this stuff in house, I'd prefer throwing work toward a TSB member.

Any and all info appreciated as always.  Thanks!

I'm sure someone will chime in with a way better answer, but i think it's called 3d foam.

also i have a FANTASTIC embroidery co. in Houston. PM me and i'll send you their info.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline cclaud3

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
Yes, it's called 3D Foam. It typically increases the stitch count vs if it were flat. Not all designs work with it. Very thin and very wide don't work as nice. The foam needs to be close in color to the thread color it's under since some of the foam make peek through the thread. Make sure to use a digitizer who can provide samples of previous work. Usually need to slightly spray tack the foam to the cap after it's done the outline stich, similar to an applique process. The needles might gum up–you can use baby wipes to clean the needles and needle area.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:12:07 PM »
thanks guys. pming now eric

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 12:44:51 AM »
This is a fairly straight forward puff job. We run these all the time. We have people call it 3D, puffy embroidery, thick stitches, and a lot of other things.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 07:35:47 AM »
3D, Puff or raised embroidery.
If digitizing file is good, pretty easy to do. And yes, stitch counts will double or triple to the normal embroidery.