Author Topic: Above my head "which doesn't take much"  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Above my head "which doesn't take much"
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »
Ok here goes.  I have a 10 color press and without taking too much of anyone's time, I'm just wondering if the attached image is doable on a colored shirt "I don't know which color yet though" or would I be better off subbing this one out.  I know there is going to be at least 600pcs.  I'm just wondering because of the solid yellows in the design probably needing there own screen.

Also, the little purplish looking logo in the middle of the sign will only be 2 5/8" tall so if this is possible, what lpi would you use to get the detail?

If this is possible,  I will be hollering at you Dan.

Also Pierre, this isn't the order I was talking to you about but I may be.

It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Above my head "which doesn't take much"
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:39:49 AM »
I got seven colors

ubase
flash
black
gold
orange
purple
gray
white

there will be some blending of the orange and gold to get the darker sign and gold and white to get the lighter shades of gold in the flames. Purple can be adjusted with highlight white.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »
We'd be at 7 or 8 colors, also on a 10 color press...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:54:01 AM »
Looks like it's time for some retensioning.  I really appreciate the info from you two.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »
If I was you, my approach would be to tell the customer that the small detail will not be as crisp as the paper or monitor. It is their choice to accept industry standard level of work (which will not be as crisp) or to pay additional fees for something above par.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:30:34 PM »
That image is trickier than it looks. Look at the halftone fades in the cone for example

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
That image is trickier than it looks. Look at the halftone fades in the cone for example

yup, those cones will need orange, two whites and a gray to look right. I would not even attempt to separate it, this is another one that will go direct to Dan!

pierre

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 01:13:46 PM »
I agree this one can be tricky because it looks so straight forward, I'd give it a shot before I'd hand it off to Dan just to test myself which wouldn't take to long  ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 04:27:57 PM »
I missed the small size, it creates a pretty big problem, the halftone dots would be bigger than some of the elements... if a shorter run, I'd be selling transfers that would hold all of the detail...

steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »
i would just print it in RGB, it's one less color than CMYK and you get a broader color gamut...and by saying all of this I mean I would send it to dan and let him tell me what to do...

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »
Ditto and ask if they are all right making the two yellow's the same color.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 06:10:26 PM »
I missed the small size, it creates a pretty big problem, the halftone dots would be bigger than some of the elements... if a shorter run, I'd be selling transfers that would hold all of the detail...

steve

That's my largest worry.  I've printed that logo several times before but not that small.  I would have to get my rollers up to par and still feel like it would lose quite a bit of detail.  The max I feel I could pull off would be 65 lpi but that probably won't be enough. 

I will discuss this with the customer like Pierre mentioned and the seps will definitely go to Dan.

I guess jobs like this are what keeps life exciting.