Author Topic: security cameras.  (Read 4765 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
security cameras.
« on: March 09, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
What do you guys use..not looking to spend a ton..i would only need 2 cameras. want to be able to watch on my laptop or iphone..

One of my guys wants to come in early and reclaim screens. Also if i go away for a week it would be nice to have something.

I know Gill uses something..I know this was talked about before but i did a search and nothing showed up.

Just something simple.

thanks!

Offline KevWilso

Re: security cameras.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 11:21:54 AM »
https://www.dropcam.com/

I would definitely look at these.  Sends alerts to your iphone on when you get any movement.  records with a rolling 14 days.  Once it is synced with your wifi it can be placed anywhere there is a 110 plug for charge.  I have been very happy with ours.
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline Admiral

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 11:50:18 AM »
We use Q-See, 16 cameras.  I can watch on my Android phone, I assume the app works on iPhones as well.

Definitely works well, easy to use.  A bit pricier probably sense it's meant for several cameras.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 12:00:40 PM »
trade with a customer for these...that's the easiest route. ;)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:39:55 PM »
You just want to make sure they are IP cameras.

Don't get analog cameras.  They are junk and being phased out.

If someone is trying to sell you an analog camera then they are behind the times and shouldn't be trusted.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »
we have regular cameras (non HD) and video is not good enough to tell the person's face. We obviously know who is in the shop and who they are, but if somebody from outside broke in, the video would be useless! Make sure you get HD.

pierre

p.s. also check the focal length. Ours are a bit too narrow (only record a part of the floor as the image is not wide enough).
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »
 Blue Moon is fair game, cameras can't pick up crap.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 02:34:06 PM »
I did need some new equipment :D

Offline aauusa

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 04:22:34 PM »
These are the ones we use.  night vison and all the other app stuff and alerts  etc.   very easy to set up

http://www.lorextechnology.com/Wireless-IP-cameras%2C-wireless-network-cameras/IP-network-cameras/prod330040.p

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
Exactly why you want IP cameras.  Don't let "HD" fool you on Analog cameras... they still aren't HD unless they are like SDI or something and "ain't nobody got time fo that!"

We have 720p and some 1080p... I can post some screen shots... let me grab a couple from different places.

Here is our shop with a 720p and my wife's place with a 1080p, they have similar focal lengths.

Kevin

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »
NIce!

thanks guys.

sort of checking on my employess also pretty much, but want something for night time too. I ve been risking it for way to long with nothing at all.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »
My question is, and has always been, is a wireless setup okay?

I despise running wires. Fiberglass insulation drives me nuts.

I guess I could pay someone if the wired version is better.

We've just been lucky on break-ins. Plus I, the owner of several hand-held lead accelerators in various configurations and calibers, like the idea of knowing who is in the front.

I saw someone post to a TSB thread about using some extra cameras to keep track of ink levels the back of their auto. I forget who, but what a GREAT idea!

Stan

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 06:12:08 PM »
Wireless would be ok... but you still have to get them power.

With IP cameras typically you can do POE (Power Over Ethernet), so you just have to run a CAT5 cable there... pretty simple.  Also pretty future proof for the foreseeable future.

Get some "push poles" to push wire where you need to... much easier than almost any other method of running cables.  Though the little dart guns have a fun factor to them. :)

I picked up some DIRT cheap analog cameras because I have a analog DVR laying around, it's sitting on top of the press (you can see it in the above picture) waiting for me to wire them all up.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 10:49:44 PM »
we have a number of Foscam infrared.  We started out with about half on wireless and they tend to frequently loose signal briefly and go into reset mode.  Now all but 1 now on hard-wire.  You will be much happier with cat5 connections.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 10:59:28 PM »

so you just have to run a CAT5 cable there... pretty simple.  Also pretty future proof for the foreseeable future.

I call BS on that! Ya that's right, I'm challenging your call Mr. Tech, I just finished up running my second 1000' box of CAT6!

Future proof, shows how much you know! Oh, thanks for getting my phone system back up and running Friday after I forgot my login password.... ;D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com