Author Topic: New Starlight  (Read 3167 times)

Offline PylonPress

• Verified/Junior
New Starlight
« on: March 04, 2015, 05:10:44 PM »
I just got my Starlight last week from M&R.  And I am quite happy with it thus far.  Still dialing in my emulsion times.
At the end of the day I went with M&R because thats where I got my first automatic press about a year ago and have been super happy with my local dealer.

I use aquasol + diazo for waterbased and discharge screens with a 1/1 coat (thin side of scooper)  although I have had some issues with this breaking down easily (also happen with my old UV unit) I am still looking for a good emulsion.

Using the exposure calculator I get a solid screen with 25 seconds.  (keeping in mind adding diazo adds to exposure time)

Using Saati Textil PHU (SBQ photopolymer) also 1/1 fine coat.    I get a solid exposure at 9 seconds.

And I do have to mention the Starlight unit now has a vacuum sensor that starts automatically one a certain vacuum pressure is acquired and also about 20 preset times, as well as adding a vacuum delay timer)  features which some other LED units had. 

(edited because it was moved and did not make sense in its original context)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:42:35 PM by pylonpress »
Nick - Pylon Press Screen Printing
http://www.pylonpress.net

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Re: New Starlight
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 05:27:42 PM »
Just ran 3000 pieces with CCI D-White using Aquasol HV and CCI HardenX (no diazo and no post exposure, just initial exposure on 7k metal halide and then apply hardener).  Finished the job wiped the screen down and there is absolutely no signs of breakdown.  Not sure if your screen was underexposed or you need a different emulsion to use with LED as I have no experience with any LED exposure units.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 05:48:22 PM »
Maybe the Workhorse Mult-spectrum unit is the cure for these situations.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 06:04:41 PM »

Um, "NO". Not in it's current configuration....
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »
I just got my Starlight last week from M&R.  And I am quite happy with it thus far.  Still dialing in my emulsion times.
At the end of the day I went with M&R because thats where I got my first automatic press about a year ago and have been super happy with my local dealer.

I use aquasol + diazo for waterbased and discharge screens with a 1/1 coat (thin side of scooper)  although I have had some issues with this breaking down easily (also happen with my old UV unit) I am still looking for a good emulsion.

Using the exposure calculator I get a solid screen with 25 seconds.  (keeping in mind adding diazo adds to exposure time)

Using Saati Textil PHU (SBQ photopolymer) also 1/1 fine coat.    I get a solid exposure at 9 seconds.

And I do have to mention the Starlight unit now has a vacuum sensor that starts automatically one a certain vacuum pressure is acquired and also about 20 preset times, as well as adding a vacuum delay timer)  features which some other LED units had. 

(edited because it was moved and did not make sense in its original context)
What you need to do is send us your information on what info you would like exposure times on and we will send you the exposure times.
Rich Hoffman

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 06:41:06 PM »

Um, "NO". Not in it's current configuration....

BAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 08:19:38 PM »
I never said it would be fast! ;)

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »
Rich,
   Who would I contact to get the exposure times for the starlight, we are in the middle of the install tomorrow and this information would be awesome.
Thank you
  Terry

Offline Alex M

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 09:43:51 PM »
I can help you with them.
Contact in sig below
Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 09:52:08 PM »
Awesome! Talk to you tomorrow
  Terry

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 09:58:12 PM »
Recommendations based on my shop's previous troubles:

- Give your screens an extra coat of emulsion.  We coat 2/1 round side.
- Burn for 75% longer than you are now for discharge/wb screens.  Aquasol HV has a very wide exposure latitude and with good films you can push it pretty far before it locks up.  We almost doubled our exposure time on a 10k MH unit and the image still opens beautifully.
- Use some type of reclaimable hardener, Murakami makes one called MS Hardener.  We soak our screens with it and throw them in the sun for a bit.

We use Aquasol HVP without diazo and no longer have any issues with screen breakdown, even on very long runs.  I know this doesn't pertain to the Starlight specifically, but you should see a major difference regardless of the exposure unit you are using.  We've also done test runs without the hardener and haven't seen breakdown with the longer burn times, but we use it anyways as a safeguard.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL