Author Topic: Emulsion storage  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Hey Monkey

Emulsion storage
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »
So I got a gallon of emsion and it turns out there was a hareline crack or hole on the bottom of the bucket. Lost some but most is intact. Trying to find a one gallon plastic pail has proven way more difficult than I expected. All they have are empty gallon paint cans. Can you store emulsion in those? Didn't know if the metal of the can would react with the emulsion in anyway.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Emulsion storage
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:27:37 AM »
I wouldn't, especially if diazo.
Do you have some smaller plastic containers? Perhaps it's time to eat some cottage cheese.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline diavale

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:47:29 AM »
uline. 1 gallon buckets arent the easiest to find

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 09:56:21 AM »
Run to local Supermarket and get some deli containers from the deli. (I'm cheap.) Then keep them in the dark.

I order mine from http://www.pjpmarketplace.com/Deli-Containers-Round-s/839.htm but I've run out a couple of times, and the local Dillon's Market sold me a sleeve of quart sized and lids for reasonable.

If you've got powdered diazo, you're probably screwed I'm afraid.... without some math and a good scale.

But back to your topic title, don't let it get cold, or hot. And keep it in the dark. I don't even like to order the stuff in winter due to shipping temps. I read somewhere that 50 degrees is about the coolest storage you should count on it keeping good shelf life.

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:02:33 AM »
uline. 1 gallon buckets arent the easiest to find

Uline is one incredible company. They understand customer service like none other!

We are one day out on EVERYTHING in their catalog it seems.

I like their 7 gallon plastic buckets for bullet traps. I fill them up with rubber mulch and a wooden disk in the bottom for magnum pistol, or light rifle rounds. I catch lots of my lead and REmelt them for future boolits. It takes a new lid every so often but the mulch won't leak like sand, and the lids are cheap enough. How's that for a thread hijack!???

If you do have Diazo, PM me, and I'll give you an idea or two.

Stan

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 10:07:01 AM »
Run to local Supermarket and get some deli containers from the deli. (I'm cheap.) Then keep them in the dark.

I order mine from http://www.pjpmarketplace.com/Deli-Containers-Round-s/839.htm but I've run out a couple of times, and the local Dillon's Market sold me a sleeve of quart sized and lids for reasonable.

If you've got powdered diazo, you're probably screwed I'm afraid.... without some math and a good scale.

But back to your topic title, don't let it get cold, or hot. And keep it in the dark. I don't even like to order the stuff in winter due to shipping temps. I read somewhere that 50 degrees is about the coolest storage you should count on it keeping good shelf life.

Not so crazy. Used to be SOP for me and my triple beam. My orange fingertips were testament to this!
When all I used was diazo, and only worked part time, sensitized gallons would sit too long, hence quarts, but too "thrifty" to buy as such.

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 10:13:34 AM »
Thanks all! It's not diazo and Pocono is shipping down a full quart and empty quart containers but I do want to transfer this into something today if possible. I'll have to poke around.

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 10:20:30 AM »
Not so crazy.

Yup.

I still regularly buy 4 gallons of CCI WR-25 with diazo, and divide them up, one at a time as needed....into 5 partially filled quart deli containers. Then I weigh the Diazo on my Ohaus Scout scale, and put the powder into previously used diazo bottles. But NOT when its raining or foggy.

My emulsion is always fresh that way. If I were using more, it wouldn't be practical, but often a "fifth" will get me through a week or two. Pun Intended.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 10:38:37 AM »
A pun lost on those too young to remember "pre-metric" booze.
And a great classic punchline  lost as the baseball announcer notices a small group of elderly ladies totally wasted, witrh an empty bottle,  about halfway through the game.

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 12:14:41 PM »
Why not place a piece of tape over the hole or crack?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
I have old empty buckets of ink and emulsion laying around, now and then I will clean then for other use or clean the ink buckets and toss....always keep a few empty buckets for just those moments ;)

d
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 02:24:41 PM »
I have old empty buckets of ink and emulsion laying around, now and then I will clean then for other use or clean the ink buckets and toss....always keep a few empty buckets for just those moments ;)

d

Yeah, and he doesn't share. :p

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 02:33:49 PM »

d

Yeah, and he doesn't share. :p

I do the same thing and I won't share either.

But I fill mine up with lead ingots. They are stronger than you think and they'll almost survive being picked up..filled the the rim with 1# ingots. 70# is not a problem for the CCI emulsion buckets I keep. I keep nearly every one of the ! gallon sized ones, so I've got plenty.  If a handle were to pull out though, you'd lose toes! That's why I stop a couple inches below the rim.