Author Topic: The Art of T-shirt Color Separation - Book  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Phenex

• Verified/Junior
The Art of T-shirt Color Separation - Book
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:25:08 AM »
Hi All,

I am looking to get a better handle on color separation.  Most of my work is spot color, but in order to get better and make more interesting designs, I know I need to understand how to do this.  I plan on trying several of the programs out there, but felt that getting a better understanding of the underlying theory/principles might be the best place to start.

Let me know if this is a good book to start learning.  I am also open to other suggestions.

Thanks,

John

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: The Art of T-shirt Color Separation - Book
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 11:34:18 AM »
Just want to point out that spot colors do not necessarily preclude the need for separations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Phenex

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 12:20:06 PM »
Thanks, good point.  What are your thoughts on this book?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:27:34 PM »
Haven't read it, but only hear good things about Mitch.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:33:06 PM »
the book should make a good reference. Mitch is on the site here every now and then, feel free to PM him and ask any questions.

If I was in your shoes, I'd get the book and start working with a professional separator like Dot Tone Dan or MySeps. Use them to get going while referencing the book so you get a better understanding of the process.

Then keep trying on your own and as you start getting results similar to the pros, you can go on your own. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 01:18:27 PM »
I bought the book when he first came out with it.  It's a wealth of information and a great reference.  There's plenty that's well over my head (and ability). 
I've learned a great deal from it.  It's definitely worth the purchase. 
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
I'm currently about 75% of the way through reading The Art of T-Shirt Separation, and its well worth the asking price and then some.  It sounds like you already have the basics down, and this book will definitely take your game to the next level.  Highly recommended.

That said, there are a ton of videos around which can get you a bit more hands on in actually seeing what the separator is doing while talking about it.  Rising Sun Graphics has some great ones on their site, and there are plenty of others on Youtube and Vimeo.  Everybody does things a bit differently, so I try to absorb as much as possible from different places.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Phenex

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »
Thanks everyone, some excellent advice.  While I enjoy the videos, I must admit I now sound like my father, I also like something printed I can refer to as well.

Not to hijack  my own thread . . .

I was going to evaluate T-seps and Ultraseps.  Can you guys recommend any others for me to try?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 10:46:20 PM »
Usually people recommend whatever they have.  Personally, I have Ultraseps and I think it's was worth the purchase.

But, my suggestion is to give the ones that have a trial a test run.  I know Ultraseps has a trial.  Not sure about T-Seps.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 01:25:18 AM »
Usually people recommend whatever they have.  Personally, I have Ultraseps and I think it's was worth the purchase.

But, my suggestion is to give the ones that have a trial a test run.  I know Ultraseps has a trial.  Not sure about T-Seps.

There you go, right there on the T-Seps banner as if it read your post

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:48:46 AM by Frog »

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 07:36:39 AM »
I have the book it is filled with tons of information, I am a real idiot when to comes to color seps and photo shop so I found the book a bunch over my head. Been through it a couple of times but again for me, (I am dense as hell) it is all like sweet candy with no information how to get past the wrapper. Mitch does a good job laying it out both in CMYK and RGB and the trappings associated with both .
I would not call this an entry level book but more for the "separatist" who wants to understand the finer details of color and art maneuvering. 
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »
I liked it too, very close to how I learned to do it. Photoshop has a lot of tools, and you need to know how to use them, but don't let it scare you, just work on little bits at a time until you're comfortable. I like UltraSeps here as it automates a lot of what I would do, and gives lots of options; paired with decent PS skills, you can do some very good work. I always inspect each channel (separation) as we have a lot of experience, and you will want to inspect each channel as well. Output a job, go to press, and check your results, be honest with yourself. Needless to say, there is a lot of input here when you have questions. I also recommend having some jobs sepped by one of the pros to get started. Just keep in mind that you can't do it all at once, be patient.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't