Author Topic: POP goes the corner bracket  (Read 1469 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
POP goes the corner bracket
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:05:07 AM »
We recently re-meshed 10 frames , we are all Newman rollers (square bar) some of the older blue coated jobs (heavy) and some of the light weight MZX jobs. After a second stretch I set one of he screens behind me on the floor sitting on the square bar.
Went back to the next screen when I heard a POP. I said aw-geeze (or something like that) I popped a panel...damn.
Looked at the screen the mesh was OK?????? on closer inspection I discovered one of the cast  the corner brackets gave up the ghost.
pics below......anyone else see this.
the frame in question is about 7 years old MZX square bar light weight jobbie , 196 mesh at @35  Nm.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: POP goes the corner bracket
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:10:12 AM »
I didn't know they would do that!

Somebody else should have experienced that if it's a design flaw.

Is there an obvious "void" in the casting?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:29:55 AM »
I've only used M3's and have stretched only a couple hundred and retensioned about the same number and I've never seen that.  Someone with more experience might have seen it before.  We've used frames from 25 years old to brand new.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:37:07 AM »
What tension?
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:49:50 AM »
To be clear not throwing any dirt on Newman rollers, we bought this particular frame new, newmans are all we have. This is a cast part and not a real high quality casting FROM A SURFACE FINISH point of view.

Castings under high loads will fail and this one might have been on the lower end of the quality curve?
Also it may have had a hairline crack - fissure in it form some time or possibly just a cold shut from the day it was cast. Actually if you look at the edges of the cracks the grain structure of the metal is actually quite good
It just scared the crap out of me as I was not expecting it and very surprised to see it .
FYI we retention OFTEN... and have the torque wrench set at 45 Ft-lbs for the bolts which swim in never seize. Before someone chimes in to say the coated bolts do not need never seize we replace the standard short bolts with 1.5 inch bolts because the short bolts strip out of the lighter MZX ends ...they only catch a few threads >:(
Anyway I am just wondering if this is an isolated issue .
mooseman
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:52:57 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:26:06 AM »
It's them there Moosman forearms.  ;)

Never seen that in 25 years.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 10:30:04 AM »
its happend to us on brand new frames - this pic was taken back in 2005  - i think they were UL style frames

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »
Yes it happens now and then.
I've had a few break over the years myself.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 01:28:27 PM »
I must be a wussy I've never had that happen, now that I've seen it I'll have one to break in a few days lol.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!