Author Topic: Question for you cold weather guys...  (Read 2764 times)

Offline ondalevel

• Verified/Junior
Question for you cold weather guys...
« on: January 31, 2015, 07:02:27 PM »
running the automatic two days in a row and I loose air pressure from the compressor.  I have 150 @ the compressor and next to nothing at the machine... I pulled off the 1 inch rubber hose at the machine and it is a slight hiss..... I am thinking that the water in the line has frozen in the hose causing a blockage.   It is about 24 degrees the past two days I now I have to use the manuel to finish a one color front.   I would like to finish the back before the super bowl if "weather permits" as it is supposed to be high 30's tomorrow.  My compressor is in the garage with the hose fed into the attic the across two bays and the back down into the shop about 35 feet across.   I cannot run a business this way.... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Question for you cold weather guys...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 07:07:32 PM »
I am thinking that the water in the line has frozen in the hose causing a blockage.

where is your chiller located?  Near the compressor or near your press?

if you have water in the line AFTER the chiller, you got bigger problems than not finishing a job.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:20:50 PM »
Janice is right you have bigger issues if there is water in the line. Especially if your making water in dry cold. If it is frozen water thaw everything out and leave the drain on the bottom of the tank cracked open. 

Don't rule out the hose is de laminating on the inside causing the blockage.

If it's cold enough to freeze water in the shop how are you moving ink?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:21:16 PM »
There are several things you can try assuming all your equipment is in working order.
First eliminate all low points in the horizontal runs. Then add slope to all horiz. lines. You can for convenience and space create a high point somewhere in you overhead horizontal run about half way with a back slope toward the compressor and a forward slope toward the press.
At the end of each run at the lowest possible point place a blow down leg with a valve at the very end. At the end of your day blow down the lines which should eject the moisture in the lines.
The slope need not be very great just enough to insure water flows down hill.
If all the is too much you can simply add an automatic valve like this one
http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/am-en/products/parts/compressed-air-parts-and-accessories/condensate-management/electronic-drain-valves
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline ondalevel

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
No chiller yet... I have not put one in but I drain the water seperator regularly.  Hose comes off compressor goes up 9 feet to the attic than 35 feet across attic and down to the auto.  It is about 45 degrees in the shop after running the dryer and flask 20 minutes.... I bring in the white ink at night to keep it flowing.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 07:44:40 PM »
No chiller yet... I have not put one in but I drain the water seperator regularly.  Hose comes off compressor goes up 9 feet to the attic than 35 feet across attic and down to the auto.  It is about 45 degrees in the shop after running the dryer and flask 20 minutes.... I bring in the white ink at night to keep it flowing.

what kind of auto are you running? If you're not running a chiller, you're gambling on a VERY expensive repair, as the water separator isn't removing anywhere near enough water from the line. 

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 08:51:33 PM »
you need a chiller. To rube Goldberg one (I have actually seen this working in a boat repair shop ) there are two halfa$$ ways you can make one on the cheap.
Get a coil of copper tube, don't uncoil it simply expand it some with spacers like you would extend a slinky.
Place it on a box fan that is laying flat on the floor (in you attic cold space) so the fan exhausts through the coil stack. Tie the fan in to your compressor so it starts when your compressor starts and stops.
When you find that is not working well enough throw the fan in the trash and get yourself a small refrigerator gut it poke some holes in the sides to inlet & outlet piping, throw the coil inside of it turn it up and shut the front door. :o

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/SHP1700W.html?mv_pc=cj&utm_content=datafeed&AID=10409817&PID=1609763&SID=tfc_-_6_24_150131_f3d22751bcb8bec6656737bbfbe22d36%3A0000&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=CPA&utm_campaign=1609763

Seriously like jvanick said you are injecting a bunch of moisture into your press, that is got to be a ticking time bomb.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline ondalevel

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 11:57:38 PM »
has anyone had any luck with the harbor freight chigago electric $430 dryer.... it looks like it will work with my 6-8 javelin.  I mostly do 1 & 2 colors and do no use all 6 heads.  Thanks for all your imput.

Andy