Author Topic: Another how many colors  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Another how many colors
« on: January 23, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
These people are ridiculous, but lets see how bad they really want this artwork on their shirts.

This is going on Sport gray... I might be able to talk them into white so CMYK maybe an option.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Another how many colors
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »
4CP

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 12:03:15 PM »
4CP

pierre

Even on Sport Gray that will work?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 12:14:36 PM »
4CP

pierre

Even on Sport Gray that will work?

you'll need a good underbase and a highlight white. The ubase will have to be almost perfect white, any discoloration will throw off the top colors.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 12:39:03 PM »
So on Sport Gray is that still the recommended method over Simulated Process?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 12:52:31 PM »
No expert here but I would tempt 4cp as well being that it really as no define colors to hit except maybe that purple looking font which I think you can still hit with cmyk...triple blend cmyk inks would give you a nicer color range if you have some.  A nice dc white base would work nice for this job just flash it a little before you print the other colors.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 01:01:08 PM »
I would also go CMYK with an underbase and we would likely spot the Purple text.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 01:49:10 PM »
How many they need?
If small order, go DTG

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 02:50:43 PM »
Thanks guys.

I think they are talking about 100 pcs Dennis.  So that's not practical.  I would 3G it if it was low qty.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 02:56:40 PM »
since we have a DTG, that is how I would do them...it would take about 2-3 hours depending on print size.  Best part we would only tie up one person.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 12:49:54 AM »
So on Sport Gray is that still the recommended method over Simulated Process?

'nothing to do with the shirt, just too many colors for simpro.

I'll second the purple spot for text.

pierre

Offline CSPGarrett

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 01:12:44 AM »
I too fall into the idea of DTG and only since I have a DTG shop.  Even at 100 units the ink at a 1440 DPI would be about $1.25 depending on white base settings and size (more if other changes are needed).  But 100 units would be pushing it, we could drop the base to 1440x720 to speed it up and the colors to 1440 to bring out the true color  and make it worth wild. 

Real Quality Merchandising.  - Printing & Fulfillment Services.  Contract DTG & Screen Printing. www.customshirtprints.com

Offline SteveS

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 05:14:27 PM »
Do it with Colorado Timberline using DTG. If that's not something you do all the time, don't fret over it and outsource it. Case closed.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 05:31:25 PM »
For my shop sim process all day. Why mainly because I'm horrible at cmyk to be honest and I feel like you can print this with the same amount of colors sim process as a good cmyk. Cmyk is base + cmyk + a spot + top white for a total of 7 screens. Instead I would sep it 7 screens sim process - base, yellow, flo pink, blue, red, black, top white.  For me it would be what your more comfortable with but if you have an 8 color press that's how I'd run it. Flash after base and run the screen with yellow right after flash acting like a roller screen. Underbase is key. 7 colors/screens total
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 06:31:20 PM »
I have a six color Sabre with one flashback.

Oh and it's 144 pcs.