Author Topic: Does anyone use the Ryonet micro registration units?  (Read 6030 times)

Offline Ripcord

Does anyone use the Ryonet micro registration units?
« on: December 31, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »
Ryonet makes an aftermarket micro registration unit designed for their silver press. I am interested in learning whether I can adapt the brackets on the arms of my press so that I can use the Ryonet micros. I'd like to find out the specifications of the bracket (bolt spacing etc.) to see if this would be a possibility.

I contacted Ryonet and their answer was that I should buy one and then I can see if it fits. (...Um, really?)

If anyone owns this system and can help me out with a few measurements, I'd really appreciate it.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Does anyone use the Ryonet micro registration units?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 06:00:12 PM »
And you'd still deal and support a company with that attitude?
I had my own issues with them with a disingenuous come-on as a sales pitch email. ("Really enjoyed speaking with you at the show last week")
I explained to Ryan that perhaps starting a business relationship out with a fib may not be the best choice, but, what can I say? Most of the clientele who have made him successful don't have the same standards as I do, and he knows it.

(Perhaps you feel you have no choice, bummer)
With luck, maybe you'll find a used set and a more cooperative seller.
Maybe someone who tossed their press, but kept the micros.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:02:45 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:28:24 PM »
I agree, when I got the email that said that my first inclination was to say "Screw it, and I just crossed this company off the list of any equipment I'll ever buy." The only thing is, I can't find any other aftermarket micro registration attachment, and as annoying as that reply was, I'm still interested in it.

All I asked them to do was to tell me the bolt pattern and measurements of the unit so I could see if my press might be adaptable. I'd have thought that would have been worth the five minutes of time in order to sell several hundred dollars worth of stuff, but what do I know?

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 07:34:55 PM »
Just to review:  Ryonet doesn't even know if THEIR micros fit THEIR press?!?

Am I missing something?

Maybe you just got a "lemon" of a CSR who was having a bad day.

I buy precious little from them...but if that isn't just an unfortunate anomaly, maybe I'll just reduce that precious little by just a teeeeensy bit more.

I believe my Ryonet lifelong grand total is 4 platen brackets and a very nice, but overpriced stainless steel ink knife, that my missus says is a cake frosting spatula. But I doubt it. It IS my favorite ink spreader.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 07:37:28 PM »
I agree, when I got the email that said that my first inclination was to say "Screw it, and I just crossed this company off the list of any equipment I'll ever buy." The only thing is, I can't find any other aftermarket micro registration attachment, and as annoying as that reply was, I'm still interested in it.

All I asked them to do was to tell me the bolt pattern and measurements of the unit so I could see if my press might be adaptable. I'd have thought that would have been worth the five minutes of time in order to sell several hundred dollars worth of stuff, but what do I know?
What kind of press is it? Have a photo of the head and arm?
Rich Hoffman

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:21:59 PM »
I believe it was to find out if the macros for their press would fit on his press.

In all fairness, if i was selling my brand press and my brand macros, I probably would not know or verify that my macros would fit another brand's press either.

Now for the bolt pattern request, I guess that's a tossup.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 08:27:39 PM »
I just read it again. I though the ripcord OWNS a Silver Press...a Ryonet branded product.

That makes more sense.

I might buy another frosting knife.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »
I believe it was to find out if the macros for their press would fit on his press.

In all fairness, if i was selling my brand press and my brand macros, I probably would not know or verify that my macros would fit another brand's press either.

I guess that would depend on whether you wanted to make sales.

I bet that most other press manufacturers would be more than happy to sell a part or an accessory for their press to an owner of another.
I bet that the parts guy at a Kia dealer may tell me the bolt pattern on the wheel of a certain model so I could figure if it would fit my Nissan.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 09:13:58 PM »

I guess that would depend on whether you wanted to make sales.

I bet that most other press manufacturers would be more than happy to sell a part or an accessory for their press to an owner of another.
I bet that the parts guy at a Kia dealer may tell me the bolt pattern on the wheel of a certain model so I could figure if it would fit my Nissan.

I might agree with that if I was exclusive sales of a product or a manufacturer. 

Ryonet is neither.  Just a retailer and just moves merch so they might not be like the Kia dealer. 

More like asking the Western Auto guy (they around anymore?) if their jack will fit under your car without taking your car there. 
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 10:31:57 PM »
I think that if I could drill a couple of holes on my press brackets and adapt a Ryonet regristration unit, it would be worth it for them to take my inquiry seriously..

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 02:34:20 PM »
It ain't exact, but I'm gonna say the bolt holes are 6 inch center to center.

Found a picture of their unit, snagged it and rotated it in Corel.  Assumed he had a 20x24 screen in the press so the red bar is 20 units wide on a 1x1 inch grid background. 

Black bars are positioned under the bolts.  Orange bars are duplicates dropped down and shifted to the closest 1 inch grid line.

Allowing for some slop here and there, I'd be comfortable at 6 inches.  Like I said, not exact and not guaranteed, lol. 

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »
Wow, thanks! This is awesome. I think based on this it should work. The bolts on my press are 5" apart, so I'm thinking I can get away with just drilling one hole.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 05:54:58 PM »
If you have any access to a welder you could easily fashion a shim plate like shown here and not have to drill into your screen clamp.

Drill holes in the plate as needed, cut off head of bolts, stick in the holes and weld on the back side so you could grind flat and not interfere with either side.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 09:00:28 PM »
Rip, I just realized something.  You have TWO mismatches on each arm. 

One where your clamp connects to the micro upgrade and another where the micro would attach to your arm.

Not that it cannot be overcome, but just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Sure you're not interested in a press upgrade??  Check out Northland's recent post.

==============================================================
I been watching the video on installing their micro

http://support.silkscreeningsupplies.com/entries/20207948-Micro-Registration-Setup-For-Silver-Press-VIDEO

You might still be able to figure out a shim plate of some kind, but you would need to bury the head of the shim bolt into their micro and then thread the shim to accept a short bolt from your clamp into a shim.

It could probably be worked out, but going to take some effort.

You could still drill one hole in your bracket clamp, but since the micro needs to attach to your arm and they have threaded the holes, not sure how you can attach it to your arm with the 1 inch mismatch.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:29:06 PM by screenxpress »

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 10:22:32 PM »
I must have too much time on my hands, lol.

You need the two things in yellow.

Rip, let me know if you don't have access to a welder....and if you decide to try one   I might have some scrap around to fiddle with.  I just finished making a set of burglar bars for my son's house.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:42:26 PM by screenxpress »