Author Topic: Water based adhesive  (Read 7017 times)

Offline GaryG

• !!!
Re: Water based adhesive
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 09:34:05 PM »
Vinyl may be the reason it won't stick well. Not absorbent and too slick...
Pallet tape lets more soak in to bond better. The aha moment.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 09:30:55 AM »
I recently started using Tekmar and I love it.    When I look at all the spray adhesive on and in my machine I wonder what my lungs must look like.
All we need now is a WB solution to fleece.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 07:00:42 AM »
We use TeKmar on our platens when printing shirts but i have worries about the sweatshirts pulling up during printing, and we use the web type spray adhesive to backup the Tekmar.

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 08:20:32 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I've been using the water based adhesive for a couple of weeks and I'm sold on it (probably already saved $15 in spray cans...)

Keeping the pallets clean is indeed the secret. I got a brush and a bottle of the Mean Green and I use it often. What I've found works well is to scrub the pallet, then wipe it off with a T-shirt and dry it with the flash. It instantly regains all the tack.

From now on the spray cans are only for fleece.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 08:58:39 AM »
Rip, you never have to go back to spray. On fleece if you simply clean the pallets as you describe and throw on a new coat of WB you will be able to trap rats with the tac.
You will need to clean the pallets every load  to get the super hold but it is better than ruining hoodies.
If ultimately you need to dull it down some  just sprinkle on some baby powder and brush it around / off with a stiff brush, we use a wall paper brush because it is wide and quite stiff for the purpose.
Let me know if you want to see a video I can easily demo the ultra hold you can easily get with WB on fleece.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 09:33:41 AM »
Rip, you never have to go back to spray. On fleece if you simply clean the pallets as you describe and throw on a new coat of WB you will be able to trap rats with the tac.
You will need to clean the pallets every load  to get the super hold but it is better than ruining hoodies.
If ultimately you need to dull it down some  just sprinkle on some baby powder and brush it around / off with a stiff brush, we use a wall paper brush because it is wide and quite stiff for the purpose.
Let me know if you want to see a video I can easily demo the ultra hold you can easily get with WB on fleece.
mooseman

I did some black hoodies yesterday on my manual with waterbased tack and it didn't work worth a hoot. (CCI Top Bond mixed  50/50 with water...just like usual. Brushed on with a foam brush, also like usual.)

The backart was a large-ish solid white plastisol block, actually a Cattle Branding-Iron logo. Front art was just a left chest and it worked fine, as always... but this backart was a beast to clear the mesh in my 60 degree shop.

Like playing winter rules golf, some adjustments have to be made for cold weather screenprinting, but it was to no avail. These suckers were "picking up" and I needed a 2nd pass for opacity. I NEARLY went back to web spray. I had warmed my ink, platens, and sweatshirts.

No joy....

So it doesn't ALWAYS work to use the Waterbased Adhesive in my experience. I don't do huge runs of hoodies, or I might just have to try something else...the last choice of which would be spraytac. Web spray, with a cardboard "mask" to control overspray, maybe....  I used to do that for hoodies, regardless.

(Hey Mike, give me a call regarding your 3000's. I've hit a shipping hiccup. You should have my phone, but PM me if you don't.  Stan)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:14:18 PM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 09:54:10 AM »
I don't thin my Tekmar HV for T's let alone fleece.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 12:38:48 PM »
I probably won't try diluting mine either, since full strength it works fine and the stuff is cheap enough as it is (in my case it's free, because I bought it ten years ago and it's just been sitting on the floor all this time...) At the rate I've used it the last two weeks, the gallon I have might well last me another ten years.

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »
mooseman
I saw your video about Mean Green, that's where I learned about it. Do you have another video?

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 01:17:31 PM »

I haven't tried that brand.

Is it a white liquid that would just remind you of Elmer's Glue? That's what mine looks like, and I decided on day one, it is WAAAY too sticky for tees undiluted....but I maybe should revisit the idea.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »
mooseman
I saw your video about Mean Green, that's where I learned about it. Do you have another video?

no but I can shoot one pretty easily your call but the WB will hold fleece like iron
mooseman

DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 02:07:43 PM »
I'll give it a try next time. So I should put new adhesive on before I do fleece?

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 03:01:12 PM »
Mr Moosey,

Count me in on the Mean Green Video too!

Thanks!

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 03:42:59 PM »
Mr Moosey,

Count me in on the Mean Green Video too!

Thanks!
Mr. Moosey. That was one of the puppets on Captain Kangaroo. (Oh wow, I'm showing my age...)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 09:37:26 PM »
...because I bought it ten years ago and it's just been sitting on the floor all this time...) At the rate I've used it the last two weeks, the gallon I have might well last me another ten years.

Ten years?!  That's a lot of self ass kicking todo. ;)