Author Topic: Water based adhesive  (Read 7015 times)

Offline Ripcord

Re: Water based adhesive
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 08:57:40 AM »
...because I bought it ten years ago and it's just been sitting on the floor all this time...) At the rate I've used it the last two weeks, the gallon I have might well last me another ten years.

Ten years?!  That's a lot of self ass kicking todo. ;)
I know, right? When I think of how many spray cans I've bought at $7 each... Back then I used the adhesive for awhile, but the mistake I made was continuously adding more to the pallet as the lint built up until I was printing on an eighth of an inch layer of lint. And it took longer and longer to dry the more the lint soaked it up. And after a couple of months I finally tried to get the whole disgusting layer off the pallet, and needless to say was unsuccessful. That's when I switched to the aerosol.

My new habit of scrubbing the lint off a couple times a day has left my pallet relatively lint free after two weeks and I'm lovin' it (and also kicking myself in the ass...)
Raster to vector conversion

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 10:15:33 AM »
Yeah, I can see that frustration.

Lucky for us, I knew there were people out there loving the stuff so I did my research to figure out what they were doing that made them so happy with it and Mooseman was kind enough to make that video of him cleaning his.... and away we went.  I NEVER wanted my equipment to have fur coats. :)

I'll ask my guy how often he thinks he cleans ours off.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 12:31:37 PM »
Just another reminder of a tip I've tried to spread for 20 years;

If you have to use spray, keep it a little neater and cleaner. Use a mask on the board.
Easily made of corrogated cardboard, or step up to Coroplast or Masonite
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 01:44:26 PM »
Thanks Andy!

The above mask is the ONLY way I've done (cursing....) Spray Tac (huck....phooey!) since I read about this in one of your posts. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself.  Oh well....

I hate to even type the ***** *** words.

I've got some more hoodies in queue today. White ink, of course. I'ma try me some water based liquid.... NOT reduced with water this time.  We'll see if it works as soon as UPS shows up with those cursed things.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 12:05:40 AM »
Mr Moosey,

Count me in on the Mean Green Video too!

Thanks!
Mr. Moosey. That was one of the puppets on Captain Kangaroo. (Oh wow, I'm showing my age...)

you are correct the character was Mr. Moose...what was the one thing he was obsessed with? do you remember?
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2015, 12:07:11 AM »
Ok here is a  video of what we do to stick fleece to a pallet with WB adhesive.
mooseman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7brpA_Dn_w&feature=youtu.be
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2015, 12:23:52 AM »
And there it is.

Thanks Mike!

What kind/brand of brush did you use to remove the fuzz, after spraying the Simple Green?

I couldn't quite see it. I've been using a sponge backed (green) Scotch Brite pad, soaked in tap water.

I printed the Hoodies From Hades yesterday, but todays batches went smooth with your method. BIG blocks of white ink on black fleece is just gonna be hard, I guess...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2015, 12:26:55 AM »
We just use a BS <= shaped brush for general cleaning, I don't think it matters much for the cleaning.

We WEB tack for fleece, for the record.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2015, 12:38:31 AM »
Tekmar and/or CCI Prochem is my fav.

Start with CLEAN pallet tape.

I use a small disposable foam paint roller, the mini trim kind. Fits in a quart or 1/2 gallon pail which you can keep covered.

Add adhesive and dilute slightly.

Roll on thick and flash dry.

Scrub built up lint off with a little water and a scrub pad. (yes, just water is fine)

Tip: spray down one pallet and let soak a half minute. Not a ton of water, just mist the pallet. Now spray the next one, while it's soaking scrub the first one. The lint will fly off. Repeat for all pallets, indexing with the flash on.

Tip: wipe the pallet down with an old tee just after your scrub it. ALL the lint will come off. Get the pallet as close to clean as you can each time. Flash dry and re-apply adhesive as needed. (usually every 2 or 3 scrubs you'll need to re-apply) This keeps the overall lint build up way down and the pallet tape will basically last until you do another fleece job.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:40:33 AM by Evo »
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 01:16:16 AM »
Mr Moosey,

Count me in on the Mean Green Video too!

Thanks!

Mr. Moosey. That was one of the puppets on Captain Kangaroo. (Oh wow, I'm showing my age...)

you are correct the character was Mr. Moose...what was the one thing he was obsessed with? do you remember?

Was it Niagra Falls?

youtube.com/watch?v=5LDgpQyuvAo

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2015, 09:05:50 AM »
Mr Moose back in the old days before PBS and color TV would trick Captain K into saying a trip word. Mr Moose would tell riddles and knock-knock jokes that would result in hundreds of ping pong balls falling from above, and hitting the Captain on the head.
The Captain would be frustrated and Mr. Moose would be mesmerized as the balls bounced on the counter. Your are correct sir Niagara Falls ;)
mooseman

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2015, 09:26:47 AM »
And there it is.

Thanks Mike!

What kind/brand of brush did you use to remove the fuzz, after spraying the Simple Green?

I couldn't quite see it. I've been using a sponge backed (green) Scotch Brite pad, soaked in tap water.

I printed the Hoodies From Hades yesterday, but todays batches went smooth with your method. BIG blocks of white ink on black fleece is just gonna be hard, I guess...

Hi Stan,
the brush is just like this one, about 10 inches long x 2 1/2 inches wide with stiff bristles.
mooseman

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2015, 10:09:23 AM »
Last time I watched the show I was about five...but I remember Mr. Moose cracking knock-knock jokes and the speedy Rabbit ripping off carrots all the time...There was also the bear that played the drums LOL.
Raster to vector conversion