Author Topic: printed with the auto this weekend!  (Read 6375 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: printed with the auto this weekend!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »
Pierre/Sam, Thanks guys. I feel the love!

Dave, I will make a mental note of that one!

Seriously, thanks for all the supportive words everyone.

Northland, Are you putting any kind of tack on the screen? If so what?

Sam, What are you using for tack?

Now I am assuming this is to grab any lint and pilling off the tee so would we be setting this up on the first print head before any actual printing is done?

Thanks!

Shane

PS Sam, my nuts aren't afraid of you!

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 05:19:15 PM »
You suck!!!  I am so Jealous.  Oh well, some day when I grow up I will have an auto.  Congrats!!!

ditto

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 08:05:30 PM »
Glad to hear the press is working well and you are feeling comfortable around it.

Offline Northland

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »

Now I am assuming this is to grab any lint and pilling off the tee so would we be setting this up on the first print head before any actual printing is done?

Thanks!

Shane

Whatever you use for tac (spray, roll on, pallet tape or transfer tape) it's got to be light enough to not lift the shirt.
I'm still working the bugs out of the process on my press.

I plan to try a loosely meshed roller frame (with Xentac on the underside).
Then, if there's some weight placed on the squeegee side... the mesh would hang down 1/8" and kiss the shirt when the table lifts.
That would allow me to not use the squeegee/flood/softhand.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 08:30:51 AM »

Thanks!

Shane

Whatever you use for tac (spray, roll on, pallet tape or transfer tape) it's got to be light enough to not lift the shirt.
I'm still working the bugs out of the process on my press.

I plan to try a loosely meshed roller frame (with Xentac on the underside).
Then, if there's some weight placed on the squeegee side... the mesh would hang down 1/8" and kiss the shirt when the table lifts.
That would allow me to not use the squeegee/flood/softhand.

'tried that, it did not work very well. We ended stopping production on a large run to set it up with the squeegee. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
..what about changing the off-contact of the head the lint screen sits in to zero or slightly less so that it touches the shirt without applying any real pressure? I know this wouldnt be ideal for everyone, but for the big presses that do this often and can spare the head, or a press where adjusting the off-contact on one head is quick and easy, it might work.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
..what about changing the off-contact of the head the lint screen sits in to zero or slightly less so that it touches the shirt without applying any real pressure? I know this wouldnt be ideal for everyone, but for the big presses that do this often and can spare the head, or a press where adjusting the off-contact on one head is quick and easy, it might work.

we did that when we set it up. Unfortunately some of the lint seems to need a little more than just a touch and we were stopping every hundred or so shirts to clean the screens. When we switched to the squeegee setup, we could go for an hour between cleaning.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »

we did that when we set it up. Unfortunately some of the lint seems to need a little more than just a touch and we were stopping every hundred or so shirts to clean the screens. When we switched to the squeegee setup, we could go for an hour between cleaning.

pierre

When you start getting prints with lint holes do you simply let it go around again or is the shirt toast? I guess this depends on if your still tacking down simple one hit one color jobs. I ask this because I work on an auto (m&r gauntlet) at a buddies shop when Im helping with contract printing of my own jobs for an added discount and sort of as quality control. When lint started picking up we would let it go around again for a second hit after cleaning the bottom of the screen ofcourse but sometimes the print will double image under the screen and mess up shirts after that creating even more waste. Cheap whites and saftey colors seem to be the worse.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:39:06 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 01:43:28 PM »
When I load, I wipe the shirts fairly good to where we might have a lint ball every 100 shirts or so on larger prints, but I know some people load without swiping the shirts and lint is a major issue with larger images.  My press op now doesn't wipe unless I remind him and every time we have to stop, I let him know about it.  Sometimes there is a giant strand in the image area, then I really ride his ass till he gets angry at me and finally starts doing it my way.  By no means can I prevent every lint ball by wiping the image area with my hand, but I would bet my way of loading versus my press ops way cuts it down by 70-80%.  I'm always seeing a lint ball in the image area and removing it when I load, so I know my technique works, but not as well as a lint screen.  We don't use a lint screen but we have a few times in the past and it was nice not having to stop, but we just aren't doing really large runs now to really justify using one.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 02:33:48 PM »
Congrats Shane, you're gonna love it for sure...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 11:07:12 PM »
Glad to hear the press is working well and you are feeling comfortable around it.

Brian,

You did an awesome job on the install! Thanks again for the tips for setting up for white ink. It helped me out a lot dialing it in. I'm not 100% comfortable yet, but feel eager to do the next job on it. It's a nice little machine and I look forward to learning it.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 03:38:28 AM »
Congrats..and it is about time...hell you have only had the auto for just under 3 yrs now....nothing like taking your time...hahahahaha

now text me some pics of multi-color stuff...

Sam 

ps.  oh yeah, when i see you i WILL kick you in the nutz

Autos are very powerful (deadly)...My tech tried to stop a pallet from moving and ripped open one of his fingers. He almost lost the finger. (I keep that in the back of my head)

Please kick me in the nuts for putting my hand under the screen (between the screen holder and pallet) while doing a test print to feel for the flood bar.....table up to OW!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll snap some pictures on upcoming jobs.