Author Topic: Do you guys choke your underbase?  (Read 8329 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Do you guys choke your underbase?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 05:53:10 PM »
Some shops/presses can get better results, but for the most part, even the largest auto shops stroke the underbase at or near the setting below.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Im-Magic

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 12:45:21 AM »
We do a universal .2mm for white underbase.
Stuart

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 12:50:18 AM »
How many of you gutter your underage for touching colors?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 01:07:04 AM »
HUH?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 01:34:25 AM »

For me an pertaining to screen printed apparel, almost never. I have been asked on maybe two occasions in my 24-25+ years. When doing so, I assume that in these cases, the press is extremely out of whack or the printer is not familiar with printing wet on wet.  Low tension and heavy ink deposits are trouble for these shops. We may have  a reason somewhere, but I've never experienced a need for doing it.

In direct ceramic screen printing, (like on coffee mugs), you do try to print so that the colors do not overlap. Only reason being, is because they do not blend at all ( and are very think inks). When they dry, they are raised off of the mug. If you put so may screens/inks on top of each other, they build an unwanted thickness and once they become too stacked, they can knock off the print with the next screen. These inks are not permanent until fired. It's a very chalky ink and must be applied while hot or in a liquid stage. They are very opaque. Decal printing on coffee mugs is a different beast.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 01:49:28 AM »
We do a universal .2mm for white underbase.

Glad to have you here and participating. :)

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 06:02:51 AM »
We use to do .5pt for vector. Now we're running at .75pt
On top colors we'll run a .25 gutter between colors. This seems to give us sharper lines where the colors butt up together.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart