Author Topic: Telling on Myself  (Read 2365 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Telling on Myself
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:23:12 PM »
I'm only posting this in case there are others, like me, that had overlooked the simplest and most obvious problem causer.

I printed something last week that I was having a hard time clearing the ink on the right and/or left side.  Didn't matter if I pulled or pushed.  The screens were fine.  I had actually used them before and still had them available.

I just took a square across the pallets.  Yep, warped.  About 1/16 with a 'rocking' high middle.  I've made pallets before, so it's not that big a thing.  Just have to check them all out and replace any that are warped.  Thinking about going aluminum. 

Question1:  Those that have them, how thick are your aluminum pallets?

Question2: Please tell me why squared off platens are better than tapered for shirt collar.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Telling on Myself
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:31:27 PM »
Question2: Please tell me why squared off platens are better than tapered for shirt collar

That's not really a question,  ;D  but since we aren't playing jeopardy, I'll take a stab at it.

One advantage for a board without a "neck shape" could be a lot less limitation on positioning the shirt (or something else)  for odd locations.
My boards are shaped, and I have reversed them more than once for this reason.

and btw I've seen a similar issue of not clearing a screeen when a squeegee is not square as well
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »
You're right.  #2 really wasn't a (proper) question. 

It was just that when I go look at aluminum pallets, they all seem to be squared off.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 03:44:36 AM »
We eventually got aluminum pallets for our manual. It was the best thing we did. Actually let me know how many your looking for. I may still have them and the hopkins adaptors for them.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:27:45 AM »
I can't wait to get rid of these wood platens! All of them have that 1/16 warp and it was really messing with a thick print of glow in the dark ink last night. They don't make alum boards for my press so i have to have them cut from plate and then epoxy on a mounting bracket.

I like the square edges vs the neck hole cut out. I always load the shirt to the same place and move my art in the screen to correspond with print location so it's easier to use a single board that never moves for all my printing needs. This way as Andy said, you don't have to flip the board around for an odd location or item like a sewn bag.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 05:34:32 AM »
Vastex platens have something of a "handle" on the front that aids to some degree in shirt neck positioning, but what I do on all my platens is mark the platen tape with a centerline, make a mark on that 1-1/2" in from the front edge, then take a gallon emulsion pail, center it left and right with the edge on the 1-1/2" mark and draw a semi-circle that corresponds pretty closely to the neck hole when the shirt is pulled over the platen. Gives me a visual cue as to whether the neck is centered in addition to checking the sleeve-to-platen distance as the shirt is pulled into position.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 10:13:12 AM »
@ Screenexpress if your having so much trouble with warped platens thats telling me your flashing a hold lot on them.  I have two of the platens that came with my workhorse manual 5 years ago still in great shape the other two I burn by walking off and leaving them under the flash.  Those two replacements have been on for about 3 to 4 years themselves.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »
There was a time when I was curing (with flash) on press.  It's quite possible this had happened a while back and I'd only occasionally noticed problems when the warped platens were in play not realizing what the problem was until now. 

These days, flashing is only about 8 seconds (or so) and when I do flash, I run more than one platen to rotate the heat.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 01:09:31 PM »
We eventually got aluminum pallets for our manual. It was the best thing we did. Actually let me know how many your looking for. I may still have them and the hopkins adaptors for them.

Sent you a PM through the boards....