Author Topic: GUITAR hero wannabe  (Read 13288 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
GUITAR hero wannabe
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:45:14 AM »
Total newb to this i can't make music happen with a DJ but I am going to dive into an electric guitar just because I always wanted to and now seems to be the time.
Here are two that i am down to, by a real players definition these are possible toys but i am allowing myself a $200.00 toy budget .
Any suggestion/ other recommendations would be appreciated.
Keep in mind I do not play (yet), if this goes as well as my jump into screen printing.........well you know there is always room on E-bay:P

mooseman

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EU8H4Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RA3RBW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Re: GUITAR hero wannabe
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:30:32 AM »
I am a player for decades and have a LARGE collection of guitars, for a beginner I recommend an acoustic guitar.  I know the electric is more appealing, but if you can learn on an acoustic, the electric will feel like butta!  There are only 7 basic chords, LEARN THOSE FIRST!!!!!!  Get back with us when you have all of those down.  If you skip my advice and go for the electric, get the squire, its made by Fender.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:42:11 AM »
i second dirks advice

plus if the electricity goes out you can still play.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:12:01 AM »
agree with all the above.  I've been playing guitar, bass, and some drums since I was a young kid. and have been in tons of local bands around the chicago area.

Also, plan to get whatever guitar you buy professionally set-up at your local music shop.. costs $40-$50, but will make any guitar (from the cheapest to the nicest) play the best it can....   

Offline Northland

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:48:29 AM »
If your budget is $200..... I'd suggest you start on Craigslist.
You should be able to find a used package that includes a Squire and a modest amp in that price range.
The amp should have a reverb function.... which will keep to interested in playing for awhile.
The advantage the electric offers is lower string action, it's easy to get the strings pressed down firmly to the fretboard.
Use YouTube for lessons and backing tracks that you can play along with.

A standard instruction class will have you focused on learning full chord shapes (all six strings).... but there's nothing wrong with starting with partial chords (triads, using three strings). Playing just three strings allows you to focus on tempo and strumming technique.

The first 30 seconds of the video is all triads. It's not learner level lesson, but is a good example how many guitarists use partial chords
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=difxJtlovg4

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 10:48:34 AM »
Now, the one thing everyone keeps in mind is MOTIVATION and FUN.

If he gets an acoustic and WANTS an electric, he may not be as motivated or have as much fun.  This will mean he will practice/play less.

THOUGH, I do agree with what they are saying. :)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 11:15:30 AM »
Moose get yourself a Chord Buddy I got one, the cat that makes them live right here in town, really neat device, and I second those guys on getting an acoustic.  I bought an electric for the cool factor but do a lot of playing them unplugged, oh and you can get a real nice guitar from the pawn shop if you know what your looking for.  Some really good guitar players with a nice axe gets down on there luck and will let it go for nothing, sad but your gain.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline StinkyDaddy

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
You've got some really good feedback here. Have you considered Ibanez? Fender is a well known brand, but the Fenders of today are not the same as the Fenders of old. My son's first electric was a Squire, if I were buying now I would look at Ibanez. Here is one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-grx70qa-electric-guitar

Knowing your chords is essential, you might also consider learning your minor pentatonic scale. Then you can play the "Sunshine of your love" riff which will make you happy.

Have Fun.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 11:29:55 AM »
I play my electrics unplugged 90% of the time.  I hear them fine for my purposes. :)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 11:47:53 AM »
craigslist semi hollows. always super fun.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
I have been playing since I was 13 (which will be 50 years next year) and  I agree with everybody but get a Tele. Maple fretboard. They are a little bit lighter than a Strat. If you go the cheap acoustic route, I have had good luck with
Rogue (still have it set up professionally).

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »
Hey Gang thanks for the help, really appreciate it.
Actually I have an acoustic gave up on it because of exactly what northland said "The advantage the electric offers is lower string action, it's easy to get the strings pressed down firmly to the fretboard" .

The acoustic  has been the fun killer for me, my kinda round finger tips combined with some arthritis on my hands makes me want to leave the acoustic in the corner where it has been for about 3 years now.
I looked at Ibanez and for some reason moved on, I will definately go back and look there again.
I know about the chord buddie, definately planned on grabbing one because I really never got off the dime with the acoustic...thanks 3Deep

At the end of the day this is just for my fun, my brother is a very accomplished sax palyer, he is a musician, I do not have that talent or desire.
I will never be a musician, I just want to learn some music and have some fun (and drive my wife nuts).

Thanks agan...as always youz guyz  rock!
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 12:27:11 PM »
there are a lot of players here... I started in '65 myself, thank you Beatles. I also think starting on acoustic is best, but, all the major brands make kits with a guitar, small amp and other accessories in that range. The Fender packages are pretty good, my nephew had one, and the guitar was quite playable. In the days when I started, most beginner acoustics were pretty hard to play, one needed to spend at least $50, 1965 dollars that is. Still, I have my first guitar, which I electrified and played many gigs with, hanging on the wall in my garage. I also 16 others, from vintage Fenders and Gibsons to acoustics from Taylor and Santa Cruz, a half dozen classicals. Be careful, or you'll get G.A.S. (guitar acquisition syndrome). Also, there are a billion lessons online in a million styles, though I will always recommend private instruction as best.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Catnhat

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 12:39:03 PM »
Up until last year I would have agreed with most of what's been said.  "get an acoustic first, learn your 7 chords and Major & Minor chord finger positions that can move anywhere on the neck, blah, blah, blah"

Then I got Rocksmith 2014 for Christmas last year.

Changed everything.  Wish they would've had something like this 30 yrs ago when I was trying to learn, watching my parents dump $$$ down the drain on lessons that never went anywhere, being told over and over by instructors/teachers.."You're not practicing enough!"

Even the local guitar teacher that works out of the local music store here, he now pretty much teaches the game to beginners(how to get around in it), because the basic lessons are built into it, then he can spend more time on proper techniques and advanced stuff rather than where to put your fingers for an A chord and how to restring & tune.

Our embroidery guy (who's been playing for 25+yrs, was also the lead guitarist for Two Camel Garage back in the day) LOVES IT!  it's got a "Session Mode" where he can play whatever he wants (on HIS guitars) and other instruments (drums, bass, keys, etc.) will play their own parts and follow along.  He can relive the band days, without all the BS of being IN a band.

Since the gameplay is similar to that of Guitar Hero or Rockband, most everybody can pick up on it very quickly, and it "learns" with you.  So you don't really have to "pick a level" and struggle through it.  It adapts to how well you play.  The better you play, the harder the game gets. (or easier, because you now have learned the song if you look at it like that)
And you can play with family/friends if you choose on your (or their own) guitars or bass

As for guitars, pretty much all major music stores are doing some sort of beginner player package for Christmas.  So it's just finding a guitar you like.  As others said, get it professionally set up locally.

Here's one:  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PPEGEGL1VSCH/

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »
I play my electrics unplugged 90% of the time.  I hear them fine for my purposes. :)

When I get a new electric, I always play it acoustically first, as I've found that if they sound good acoustically (not in comparison to a real acoustic, but solid and resonant for what it is) then they sound good plugged in. Strat and Tele are my two favorite electrics, with Les Paul right on their heels.

Steve

Haven't read all of the others, but starting with the blues can be easy, as it's not overly complex as jazz, metal, or classical. It also translates easily into simpler rock, Chuck Berry and the like. I started with a ton of chord strumming with a pick, then one day at a lesson, my teacher went to the head, and I played what was on his turntable, an Andres Segovia album, classical guitar all Bach, what an eye opener. Anyway, just go for it, it's very easy to learn to play a little; to play great it's like any other endeavor, it takes the work and dedication.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't