Author Topic: how do you label your screens?  (Read 5377 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
how do you label your screens?
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »
Always on the quest for new and better ways, i wanted to get a discussion going on how everyone labels their screens. So far this is the best way we've found, but it's far from great or permanent.

We tape up our screens, then we sharpie on shipping labels, apply it to the tape or the frame, and then packing tape over it. We tend to put one on each side. i've included a picture of our auto and manual frames

How do you guys do it?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: how do you label your screens?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:47:13 AM »
Pretty much the same here except I use a vinyl printer.  The labels last a good while.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:49:32 AM »
I have a pretty dumb way to do it -but it works. We cut out various shapes of vinyl and stink them on the frame, both ends. Each shape represents a different mesh. A triangle means 230, rectangle is 160 and so on. When we coat for wb/dc, we apply another little neon orange sticker so we know how it's coated. It's easy to see across the room and on the racks. Numbers are probably even easier but I tend to make things more complicated than it needs to be haha.... when it comes to reclaim, we simply peel off the orange sticker, if we want to.. The vinyl holds up really well through reclaim.... not perfect but it works.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »
Some use colored zip ties for rollers. Aluminums may be metal punched

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 12:08:33 PM »
Dymo labels. Old school embossed ones. Have to give Evo credit for the idea. I posted a pic in another thread of how we do ours. I'll try to send you a pic over ater

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »
The labels come in enough colors that if your screen library isn't huge in terms of how many mesh counts you use  you can have a separate color for each one. They last nearly forever and the adhesive holds very well to a roller frame.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 12:19:08 PM »
Some use colored zip ties for rollers. Aluminums may be metal punched
Got to watch the zip ties. I found that when you put them on the roller frame and cut the tie off you have a sharp square edge and they will bust a screen that you stack next to it if your not careful.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 12:23:06 PM »
if you use Zip Ties, PLEASE use flat cut diagonal cutters, or in a pinch, nail clippers work too... using standard diagonal cutters will leave an edge that will slice you and leave scars if you brush against it wrong.

I used to work on a crew doing wiring in telephone central offices... the ones that allowed zipties (very few and far between), required you to use the flat cut cutters...  of course most of them required cat gut (wax twine) and/or velcro...

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 01:15:46 PM »
We use vinyl stickers. They last a lot of reclaim cycles. And they're cheap.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »
With the zip ties, I'd be worried about cutting your blanket too.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »
I use industrial sharpy directly on the frame and cover in cheapo packing tape.  Lasts forever it seems like....  (statics)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 01:29:57 PM »
Dymo labels but hand written with permanent markers, then cheap packaging tape over the top of that, lasts forever, easy to read in any light.  Now that I have the Dymo label printer on my desk I may start using it for marking screens.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 01:46:51 PM »
Should have mentioned, we use a sharpie 'oil based paint pen' here... scuff up the corners... paint it on, let it set, and it seems to be nearly permanent, unless you hit it with too much ink remover...

however, we use statics and not roller frames...

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 01:56:02 PM »
Zip ties, nail clipper. Luckily on Newmans pinned for MHM's the pins themselves provide you with a bit of cover for the blanket/your hands.

Everything else we've tried (label/packing tape, writing on the frame) has eventually worn off. Admittedly we haven't done the
Dymo thing yet.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 02:12:17 PM »
color coded with sign vinyl squares on roller and square bar
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.