Author Topic: Weird issuse with Shur-locs  (Read 4404 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Weird issuse with Shur-locs
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 07:56:19 PM »
we use 2" tape and start it on the ribbed section of the newman frame... if I'm at the shop tomorrow, I'll shoot a pic, but basically it covers about 1-1.25" into the mesh, covering the locking strip and protecting the mesh when we put it in the screen racks.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 08:01:01 PM »
we use 2" tape and start it on the ribbed section of the newman frame... if I'm at the shop tomorrow, I'll shoot a pic, but basically it covers about 1-1.25" into the mesh, covering the locking strip and protecting the mesh when we put it in the screen racks.
Thanks i would like to see that.
Shane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 08:59:37 PM »
wouldn't the heat melt the mesh first?  or at least distort it in some fashion

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 09:01:04 PM »
wouldn't the heat melt the mesh first?  or at least distort it in some fashion
Thats what i thought.
Shane

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 09:22:19 PM »
We had two Newman's with Shurloc panels do that. In a rush to dry them I leaned them against the stand under the flash on the manual and forgot about them, went to use them and they both popped like that. The strip got soft from the heat and rolled out. I think the mesh being so thin dissipates the heat fast enough not to break but the strip absorbs the heat. 

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 02:17:19 PM »
We had two Newman's with Shurloc panels do that. In a rush to dry them I leaned them against the stand under the flash on the manual and forgot about them, went to use them and they both popped like that. The strip got soft from the heat and rolled out. I think the mesh being so thin dissipates the heat fast enough not to break but the strip absorbs the heat.
I will dry my screens under my flash but I've never had this.
Shane

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 03:07:26 PM »
Pics of how we tape our newmans frames...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:12:13 PM by jvanick »

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 03:10:10 PM »
Pics of how we tape our newmans frames...

Thanks,
Shane

Offline shurloc

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 07:06:57 PM »
Great Oooglie Moooglie! What did you do to that poor panel Shane?

I have to jump in (now that I'm back from the long weekend - Happy New Year by the way everyone!) and get some information going here...

This isn't a chemical issue, the warp is far too clean to be a chemical thing - plus the chemicals cause the plastic to pull away and start pulling apart. This allows the chemical to get in-between the 2 pcs and eat the glue. The glue fails and then the panels explode. If you haven't seen it yet, just try not rinsing one after you have it in the dip tank for a bit. It's quite scary...

What this looks more like to me is that there was a direct heat source near the edge of the plastic. Unfortunately, the plastic has a lower warping point than the mesh has melting point. The mesh should hold up to temps well in excess of 175-200 degrees depending on the mesh count. Some manufacturers even subject the mesh to heat treatments to make the threads last longer. The plastic, on the other hand, will take temps of 100-120 degrees or so before it starts to soften. The melting point of the product (PVC) is 160 degrees. This is quite a ways under even the finest mesh counts will take.

I'm pretty sure that you just got them a bit too hot and under the pressure of the tension, they failed. Shoot me an email (ron@shurloc.com) and I will see if the bosses will let me help you out with this one... :)

Ron
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 11:17:47 PM »
Thanks Ron I think after haring all this its the heat. Doesn't make sense since it wasn't directly on these 6 that busted. I have re-meshed with what I had at lot of 4-190s and 2-156's. My error sine I put a new heater in the room.
I do know that Mike@Denco denver is wanting to try to get setup to sell shurloc. That would he me in Colorado have more people to buy from.
Thanks,
Shane