Author Topic: Screen Sizes - Want to move from static to "Retensionable"  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Phenex

• Verified/Junior
Screen Sizes - Want to move from static to "Retensionable"
« on: November 04, 2014, 08:00:50 PM »
Hi All,

I am currently using static frames in my shop, 20 x 24 on a Vastex 2000 6/6. I think it is finally time to replace them with some type of retensionable system (looking at Shur-Loc and variants). My question to the group, is should I stick with 20 x 24 or consider another screen size like 23 x 31?

Using Shur-Loc as an example, the difference in price is is only a couple of dollars (for the frame) going to the larger size. That said, I have not run any designs yet (key being yet) that have required anything larger than 20 x 24. since I am upgrading, it just seems smart to consider the potential change in size as I would like to have only one size of screen in the shop when I am done.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Screen Sizes - Want to move from static to "Retensionable"
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 08:08:25 PM »
If you ever vision yourself getting an automatic press than yes go with the 23x31, if not stick with the 20x24s. You will use less emulsion, tape, not sure if your exposure unit can handle the 23x31s.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 08:15:53 PM »
Does your press have side clamps? I doubt you can hold an 23x31 ez frame or any retensionable with just rear clamps

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
I've used 18x20 id (21x23 od) and 23x26 od Newman's on my Vastex V2000 for years. The smaller size, which would be comparable to your 20x24's covered the bulk of it. The 23x26's were great for anything particularly large.

I agree with what Prosper-Tees said. Save money on emulsion, tape, mesh, etc. Unless you are planning on going auto in the near future.

The Vastex should hold the weight of the 23x31's, but you would have to be sure to get square back frames.

On a side note, I'm in the process of swapping my screens to 23x31 Newman's for my auto. I think I have about 75 18x20's and 25 23x31's. I also have a Newman stretching table. If you are interested PM me as I will be listing them for sale soon.

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:12:34 AM »
I'm going 23x31 also and have quite a few 18x20, 23x26, 23x28 square bar Newmans if you are interested. I'll also be listing them for sale soon, just haven't had time. PM me also if you want to talk about them, the 23x26 are all pretty clean with nearly brand new mesh and taped.

Brandon

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:38:41 AM »
I did the same thing few years back. Went from statics to all Newman. I would suggest you to go with used Newman frames and Shur-Loc mesh panels.

I have built a stretching table and now it is a breeze to stretch the panels.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »
BTW, I have Antec Legend with back clamps and I do not think that it would hold anything bigger than a 18x20 Newmans (It might need new springs)

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
20/20 hindsight I would have gone with 25" x 36" as then we'd probably be able to go tapeless on the auto.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline StinkyDaddy

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »
Dennis,
The Legend should hold those up, I would try new springs on one head first and see if it helps. I put new springs on my Dynamic a couple of years ago after I had a few newmans fall down while printing and it solved the problem. I've doubled up the springs and printed 18x24 coroplast signs with 30x40 newmans with my Antec.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »
Legend can handle two sets of springs on each head.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »
I like having one screen size. this way you don't need different screen racks, coaters, film positioning locations and other hassles of multiple screens sizes. It's also beneficial when you move int direct to screen so don't have to change the base plate.

the newman 23x31 MZX frames are made for the manual printer. You can get them in all round and or square bar back. They will handle tension up to 35N and panels are readily available for quick and fast stretching.

they are lightweight and with a larger image area you can gang images.

When you transition into an auto, the screens will just load right in.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services