Author Topic: Question on emulsion we are using..  (Read 1441 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Question on emulsion we are using..
« on: November 01, 2014, 12:04:06 PM »
We use a photopolymer emulsion, Saati Textil Pv. Pretty much same as the Ulano QTX.

My question is, we have a tiny dark room for our screens. Our light box is in there too. We need more room in there. I would like to move our light box to rith outside the door of the dark room. There are flourescent lights there. If we were to take the screen out of the room and walk out and put it on our light box, would that sliver of time have any effect on the emulsion?

Sort of trying to get an answer before we decide to move it out.

Thanks

Rob

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Question on emulsion we are using..
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »
I use QTX and I don't even have a freaking light room, lol.

I keep my coated screens in a cabinet and pull them out for film taping, exposing, etc. all under florescent lights.

I know this has been debated before, but the ONLY time I had florescent lights affect me was back when I would coat screens and stack them on a table with separators to dry overnight (before cabinet) and forgot to turn off the lights.  It pre-exposed the top 3 screens but the rest were okay.

Brief periods of florescent light do not seem to affect them, at least not for me.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 12:16:01 PM »
thanks!  that was the answer i was looking for!  LOL

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 12:24:21 PM »
But, as been discussed here before, no UV light exposure is even better. I'm in the same boat, and just switch off the lights by my pre-reg table and exposure unit. My shop is far from state of the art,  (not even unincorporated county land of the art).

However, I also understand that there are clear UV filter sleeves available.

edit, apparently the clear sleeves only assure zero uv transmission to 395n, but I venture to guess reduce all wavelengths
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:28:29 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
I've used the Textil PV quite a bit and I coat with regular lights on, line my films up under regular lights, etc. I do store the screens in a dark, humidity controlled cabinet. Never had an ounce of exposure problems.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 11:03:07 PM »
We walk around with our screens in fluorescent lighting all the time and don't think twice.  Pp emulsion.

Tech from workhorse was sure we were going to per expose the screen... I even used an undeveloped screen for him to set off contact. Washed out fine. :)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Question on emulsion we are using..E
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 01:05:00 AM »
We don't have a dark room.   We coat, prepare for exposure and washout the screens in a mixture of daylight and fluoresent.
Dry them in a cupboard that has a black piece of material covering the front and I'm sure a bit of light gets in.
The emulsion is obviously not that sensitive.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »
I appreciate the replies!  thanks