Author Topic: Marq (Mark) from New Orleans is back (formerly Q Prints)  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

Marq (Mark) from New Orleans is back (formerly Q Prints)
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
Hey there gang! It's been 6 years t the day since Katrina hit and I finally got in a position to get my side biz up and running again. I managed to save my press (chameleon 8x8 w air locks). The only thing I lost was my flash dryer and my 13 ft conveyor dryer. The first 2 years after Katrina i lived in a FEMA trailer in my front yard..it took me that long to get money from insurance and rebuild to where i could live in it. I did all of the work by myself so everything took me 10x as long. I could only address my house when I wasnt working, so only eekends when i was off.....during that time my printing equipment laid in my garage dissassembled and I didnt even think about it. My home is now about 97% complete (i admit..i got lazy at the end being that its practically 100% back..I still need to finish that spare bathroom then im 100%!).......so this summer I had time to focus on my screen printing biz....and after much consideration I decidd to sell it all and accept my losses and move on..I just didnt feell like I had the energy or the time to relearn everything and set it all up..my enthusiam wasnt there like it was 6 years ago when i started getting the hang of it. .I'm 41 now and my interest have changed and after using all my spare time for the last 6 years rebuilding a home the last thing i wanted to do with my spare time was work on printing tshirts..i wanted my free time to be totallyfree so I could go kitesurfing or whatver i was into...so i put t all up on craigslist to sell...and selling it all at a loss just to get rid of it and clear up my garage. Got a few hits and phone calls but everyone mostly wanted one or two ites..not the entire biz.

But I one guy in particular that showed interest in just the press came up with an idea I always had all along but gave up on....since i didnt want to sell JUST the press he suggested why don't i set up in his shop. He wanted my press to expand his shop from 1 to 2 presses....and I was looking mainly to clear out my gargae...so after much talking we decided to help eachother out..I set up shop in his existing commercial location..he uses my press as much as he needs..and I get full use of his shop for any side jobs I get. The equipment is still mine and if i wanted to sell it all tomorrow I could...but being in his new location and seeing hi opration up and running insprired me again..plus i did feel uneasy about selling off everything before i got a chance to break even on my investment so long ago....so weare going to try this out for 6 months and see how it goes...its 2 monhs in and everything seems fine but I have not had any jobs yet..Ive been too busy with work (plus this summer I was a stand in on a Stallone movie being filmed her ein New Orleans..thats a whole nother story!! hahaha...that took up my whole summer!!!)...but the movie is over..Im back at work at Shell....and can begin putting the pieces back together on my sidebiz.

I went to screenprinters.net site to jump in the chat room and see the chat i done!..I was told this is the new hang out for the printers!..So here I am..joining the site..hopefully I see some old friends here!

And the new name of biz is Red Herring Printing...(or Red Herring Designs)....im undecided.

and hey..if anyone has a flash dryer they are looking to get rid of let me know..im in need of one.

Mark
Mark

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Marq (Mark) from New Orleans is back (formerly Q Prints)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:46:19 AM »
Welcome back Mark, it's good to have you here.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »
Hi Mark Marq!

I'm glad that you were directed here from the nether regions for both the actual activity and help that can be found here, as well as a very different attitude and agenda from management.
You missed a lot of change, a lot of drama, lucky you!
Once again, welcome, but sorry, no chat like you were looking for.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
as long as I found you guys and girls...thats all that matters!
Mark

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »
hey man glad to see you here...anything we can do to help let us know

Sam

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »
Welcome!!!
I'm glad it is settling down over there, Katrina was a b!tch.