Author Topic: What color light bulbs for looking at Inks?  (Read 3348 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: What color light bulbs for looking at Inks?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »
We can talk all day about different bulb types, etc. but as previously mentioned it comes down to the color temp anyway.  It also comes down the CRI value at that color temp.

I think, if it all possible or within budget, you should have decent lighting in your shop.  5500-6500 k is ideal they say, as it's closest to natural sunlight.  You start with matching the temp to daylight then you try to get a high CRI.  I read somewhere that-

"An ideal light source for color rendering will have both a color temperature similar to daylight and a high CRI value."

We have Triten 50 "full spectrum" bulbs @ 5000k, 85cri and boy howdy are they the nicest fluorsecents I've ever worked under. Quiet, instant-on, very "neutral" feeling in color yet very bright and no noticeable flicker- you can work under them for hours on end. The 96" bulbs cost around $13/pc.  The electronic ballasts that fire the T8 buls are the most expensive part but they keep the flicker and hum to a minimum as a bonus.   I like these things so much I might pull the ballasts out and re-install them in my new shop. 

So, I use our shop lights for swatch checks since it's consistent and the color seems quite "accurate" compared to daily life conditions to me.  You also get about the same lighting from one end to the other.  So if I mix at one end we're not a world apart when someone checks it at the back of the dryer.   

Cool White Erin?  Really?!  Those bulbs are the worst to me, they seem to throw color so far off.  But, I'll bet that's the most common bulb in print shops. 

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 02:43:15 PM »
I never really understand the light box for viewing colors.

You're reducing the number of variables for viewing. Yes, you could always view in the same spot in the shop or in an office, but there is always the possibility of other variables when doing this. (different levels of ambient light throughout the day, etc.)

The human brain is really, really good at "flattening" all the variables in our perception as conditions change, so viewing in an open environment can produce different results from day to day, even minute to minute. Hence, light box.

BTW - you can use a small, windowless room painted in a neutral grey for fairly reliable viewing as long as the lighting is not too warm or cool.

It's also good to have one or more "double check" areas to view color, like a skylight at a certain time of the day, a bathroom, etc.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Northland

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 03:28:25 PM »
I had a sales call from a lighting vendor today (at my real job). He brought in an LED lay-in light fixture with some impressive spec's.
It was a 4000K with a CRI of 93. So, that's a good cross between daylight and storelight.  The price is right ($200/ea).

I'm interested in them for energy reasons... these are 44 watts and replace a 3 lamp fluorescent (about 85 watts). They provide 80% light level for about 75,000 hours (compared to 25,000 for a standard fluorescent). So they are pretty much maintenance free for the life of the product (if you burn them 12 hours a day).

Plus... these are 100% American made with 100% American components (CREE brand made in N. Carolina)

LED technology has some pitfalls.... these have made the leap to viability by using a novel heatsink to get full LED life.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 04:04:19 PM »
LED is interesting for sure.  I've never seen a good one in person though.  I just wonder how it "feels"?