Author Topic: Did anyone watch "The Profit" this week?...  (Read 7972 times)

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
Re: Did anyone watch "The Profit" this week?...
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »
Well, they were sitting there and Marcus asked, "So he is in jeopardy of losing the buy out?" and the landlord was like "What do you think?" and from what I remember that was the end of it. So I'm guessing part of the deal was if they made the taxes and rent whole again the option would be back on the table. I don't see Marcus/The Profit getting involved without that deal still being available as it made the investment very attractive.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 11:30:45 AM »
Well, they were sitting there and Marcus asked, "So he is in jeopardy of losing the buy out?" and the landlord was like "What do you think?" and from what I remember that was the end of it. So I'm guessing part of the deal was if they made the taxes and rent whole again the option would be back on the table. I don't see Marcus/The Profit getting involved without that deal still being available as it made the investment very attractive.

Hard saying for sure as we all know they play this up for TV.  He may have known and maybe he didn't.  I know on the show they play it like he comes in has a 10 minute conversation (basically) and he makes a investment, I would assume that's not near the case and he's likely got people in there combing the books/meeting with everyone and so on.  Even for rich people 660k is no joke.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 11:51:54 AM »
Yeah, there is no way anyone can convince me he wrote a check for 660k off some lump sum numbers from a QB P/L sheet. He knew about the "Target" transactions, etc. Had to. But the down and dirty details would have made for boring TV. I still think it was a good episode and gave some good lessons.

And the fire station part was hilarious.

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 12:35:34 PM »
and I like when Marcus busted him on paying off the guys personal debt......the shop owner never mentioned a lot of the debt was his personal debt he and his wife accumulated on their own living their life....he's like "whats this??$247 at a steak restaurant???...so im paying your personal debt to????"
Mark

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »
not to hi jack the thread but you need to watch the one with Sweet Pete's...the candy store guy....wait till you get a load of the business partner....the guy invested $2,000 in the business and tried to shake down Marcus for $150,000 buy out of his shares.......that dude is a tool!!!!...Marcus handled his butt quickly!
Mark

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »
I (think) I bought my press from him a little before this show was done. I haven't seen it yet, so I could be wrong.

The story he told me was he bought the building. Now I'm thinking he was renting with option to own.

He definitely had his hand in everything, and it was a very interesting layout.

The screen print shop was in the back of the building. The roof needs to be redone. It was no where near as pretty as the rest of the building. Night and day.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 02:34:10 PM »
Let's remember folks.

These shows are almost COMPLETELY fake!

Sure there is SOME reality there... just like "The Exorcist" is BASED on a TRUE story. ;)

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 02:36:42 PM »
Definitely, though I don't think the sales guy was acting haha.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 03:00:15 PM »
Definitely, though I don't think the sales guy was acting haha.

No it would be hard to act that stupid.  LOL

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 03:37:46 PM »
Let's remember folks.

These shows are almost COMPLETELY fake!

Sure there is SOME reality there... just like "The Exorcist" is BASED on a TRUE story. ;)

This is why I am dying to see this episode. I want to see how much of it makes sense, and how much of it seems like complete BS.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »
OK. I finally saw the episode yesterday. It's on youtube (thanks to KingScreen for posting the link in another thread!)

First, I'd like to point out that the $27,000 Brother DTG idea must not have worked.
http://www.digitsmith.com/brother-gt-3-series-direct-garment-42684.html

This was my first time ever watching that show. I can not imagine a business investor would go into a place, listen to someones story, peak at a P&L (which someone could have doctored). Then cut a check for $660K after 20 minutes. Obviously, a lot of that has to be exaggerated for the drama of TV. I'm guessing he knows everything beforehand, then pretends to find out as they go along. I'm pretty sure Marcus & company know exactly what they are getting into. Otherwise he would have been bankrupt ages ago. If it's even really all his personal money that's being invested.

I would guess that from a TV angle, the people at the shop have no idea what is going on. Although it blows my mind that someone could be as bad as that salesman/partner was.

I really wish they did follow up episodes to show how the business progresses. Or had a whole season be on a particular business. According to the show's schedule. He comes in and invests on 18 businesses this year. Unless he turns down some of them. Pretty cool show though.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 05:15:31 AM »
Who know, but court room show (ppl's court) pay the outcome.  So those guys go on there with nothing to lose.

This fake reality has been going on for decades (successfully).

Offline trebor

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 06:13:12 PM »
There was an interesting article concerning "The Profit" in the Oct issue of Inc Magazine.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 07:31:11 AM »
There was an interesting article concerning "The Profit" in the Oct issue of Inc Magazine.

http://www.inc.com/magazine/201410/david-whitford/marcus-lemonis-the-profit-turns-around-failing-businesses.html

He worries about preserving the integrity of what qualifies--at least within the alternative-reality world of reality television--as a very real undertaking. His fee per episode doesn't even cover his travel expenses. He gets no royalties, no syndication, no back-end rights whatsoever. And when he writes a check and takes a stake, he's putting his own money at risk. It would seem that Lemonis negotiated an uncharacteristically bad deal for himself, but he claims the arrangement keeps things "super real and raw." If he were to put a company he already owns on air, it "could seem like a paid advertisement," he says.

Offline tonyt79

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 07:52:18 AM »
I watched that episode awhile back and last week decided to see if that place had a website. I saw that their Facebook page was up to date and the place looked just like it did before the show in the pictures. I am addicted to that show.