Author Topic: Anyone seen screen printing combined with digital printing?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Anyone seen screen printing combined with digital printing?
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »
One of my clients told me they saw a video where the white was screen printed and the CMYK was added by digital printing......Anyone seen such a video?....A link would be appreciated.....Thanks....

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Anyone seen screen printing combined with digital printing?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 12:29:44 PM »
A few years back, I saw a DTG carriage mounted in one of the heads of an auto.

Couldn't tell you a thing about its efficacy though.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 12:33:47 PM »
One of my contacts just sent me this link:

http://ge411.com/video-rk.htm

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »
there was something called the Polar Bear or something and it mounted to a Brother GT541 and you would print your base and then CMYK over the top.

There were problems though like the platens on that machine aren't meant to be printed on first off.  It never took off.  The platen arm was durable enough, and I would bet that an aluminum platen would have supported it better.

The closeups in those vids don't look that good.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 12:40:01 PM »
I saw one in the development phase at M&R a few months back.  Interesting machine for sure.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Kornit makes one, the Paradigm.

http://youtu.be/7WZnFhG7QvQ

There was a local place here that one hooked up to their MHM, and hated it and actually ended up returning it!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 01:27:07 PM »
Still looks pretty slow.  Quality in those close ups is pretty rough, but I guess that artwork may have been that way for all we know.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 01:37:38 PM »
unless it's done well, it's stupid...and I have yet to see it done well.

you would get better speeds buying 2 DTG machines and freeing up the auto to run at high speed.  throttling a press like that will only add to scheduling and personnel headaches.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 01:40:12 PM »
Agreed on the speed, that thing is sloooooow.  And also, once you've brought screen printing into the DTG equation, hasn't it kinda defeated the purpose?  The beauty of DTG is that my grandma can buy one and be printing shirts within minutes.  Once you add screen printing into the mix, it becomes a whole different ballgame.  I understand the idea of improving the white ink side of DTG, but this just seems counterproductive to me.

Unless the manufacturers are banking on the future of screen printing being two head presses (one white, one CMYK).  I just don't see that ever looking better than an actual screen print, especially when it comes to spot color printing.  But who knows.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 02:38:37 PM »
Multi/full color retail designs (with name drops). Small orders of 24 shirts per drop/town to the retailers. DTG'd but if you're able to mass produce the DTG'd images, like 1000 at a pop, and then screen print a 1-2 color name drop on every 24-36 or 48, it makes it viable.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »
I have a Kornit 933 Paradigm on my MHM E Type.    Kornit made a video of it working in my factory that they use at shows.    I'll try and upload it tomorrow.
We have deigns that we print CYMK digitally and then add puff, overprint glitter or add foil.
We print letter size prints at a rate of about 150 an hour.       If we want a white base we have to screen print it.        We get good results printing a discharge base and then printing CYMK with the Kornit.
This is not a printer for small shops, it's great for fashion.     Creative textile designers are getting great results using screen and DTG.     If you have a large screened area and a smaller DTG print you can speed up production a lot.
This printer is deigned for high volume and not for one offs with name drops.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il