Author Topic: I have no idea  (Read 5437 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: I have no idea
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 03:19:40 PM »
The problem I think you are all overlooking is that fact that this art (is presented) on a white background...and you assume...that you take what you have and you make a mask of that. With this actually being printed on a black tee....and you look at that original art, you have to imagine that intent...of the original artist (and your customer).  The intent...is for this texture to fade off to the shirt (or background). In the case of the presented art...it's a white background. When going on the shirt...it should trail off to the shirt color, making it look more like it was "intended" to be on that background.  Follow me?  Otherwise, your representation on the black tee it going to leave the edge choppy and hard like a blob of image "pasted" on a the shirt rather than "a part of" the shirt design.

That is an excellent point Dan!

I assumed it was some cotton candy or something... though the dark version you did does look cooler in my OPINION. :)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »
Also, I think Gerry is trying for fewest colors.

That's why I dropped the Red and was just trying to get the best I could with the pink.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 03:33:12 PM »
The problem I think you are all overlooking is that fact that this art (is presented) on a white background...and you assume...that you take what you have and you make a mask of that. With this actually being printed on a black tee....and you look at that original art, you have to imagine that intent...of the original artist (and your customer).  The intent...is for this texture to fade off to the shirt (or background). In the case of the presented art...it's a white background. When going on the shirt...it should trail off to the shirt color, making it look more like it was "intended" to be on that background.  Follow me?  Otherwise, your representation on the black tee it going to leave the edge choppy and hard like a blob of image "pasted" on a the shirt rather than "a part of" the shirt design.

That is an excellent point Dan!

I assumed it was some cotton candy or something... though the dark version you did does look cooler in my OPINION. :)

agreed, that was probably (possibly?) the intent. It does look better. Nice catch Dan!

I will add that we, for that reason amongst many, always send a mockup to confirm what the customer is after. We will also often tell them to send us the art laid out in proper colors when ever possible so we don't have to guess what they are after. In the end, we regularly have to explain that, no we can not print this pencil drawing of the person in white ink. It will turn the eyeballs black and retinas white (negative effect). . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2014, 03:59:29 PM »
Oh the love the love is just overflowing! Lol!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 05:44:28 PM »
Anytime Gerry, anytime!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2014, 07:55:04 PM »
Lol Gilligans post didn't have to get cut I knew he was just joshin.

Update got a call from the customer after I asked them if they wanted to replicate it exactly and if they did it would be between 4-5 colors and an increased cost, guess what? Now the jon turned into a 1 color text only job! See even when I get presented with jobs that are 4-5 colors it always turns into 1 or 2 after they get the price! So new 8 color, 10 color automatics are not in our future I don't think!

This thread is still valuable to me though as I get to hone my skills and learn my software!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 08:47:09 PM »
If they only knew eh Gerry?

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2014, 09:08:02 PM »
heres my contribution. all done in coreldraw x4....I follow Tom's methods. seems to work well for me...I would discharge this, but for a plastisol base, use the contrast slider and slide til yuur happy....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...