Artist > Art for free/trade/donation

Donations = A mutual effort.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Artelf2xs:
Good 'ol Dot and his misspellings... I think he meant Donut art! :P All us Do-Nuts :o

Sbrem:

--- Quote from: dlac on May 23, 2011, 09:09:33 PM ---Now You tell me NO FREE ART... after 20+ years of giving art away... Cwap if I could sell art I can get rid of my sandwich board and take a shower... wait till the wifeee heres this
dlac

--- End quote ---

One of my customers, when he was starting out, thought "I can't charge for art..." I told him, "We can, and do, so you'd better start charging for it, or you're going to fold before you get started." When a customer asks for something like that, I tell them to go ahead and do the art, and I won't have to charge them anything. They pick up on it, usually anyway.

Command-Z:
This subject has come up in the past and I've said this all before, but not on this forum yet so here goes:

Non-profits, benefits and such have budgets for promotional materials. The people handling the promotions often want to get the best deal, but there's money in the jar for art, t-shirts, posters, whatever. They're just using that to get you to give them a good deal... who knows where the surplus money is going.

Some of my best repeat clients are annual fundraisers and they pay top dollar to get good art. They do this so they can sell more shirts and charge more for them.

Now, there are small outfits, like high school bake sales, car washes and the like that may not have a big budget, but most organized events and non-profit companies do. Non-profit organizations often have HUGE advertising budgets and even have CEOs and administrators that make triple-digit incomes. They just don't pay taxes on their income and the "profits" are shuffled around differently.

Don't be afraid to ask what the budget is. And don't let them tell you that putting your logo on the shirt is fair trade. You can't deduct work done for charities from your taxes.

If it's a cause you really believe in and you really want to help, go for it. But giving your work away probably means someone else is keeping money that was allotted for promotion.

Artelf2xs:

--- Quote ---means someone else is keeping money that was allotted for promotion.
--- End quote ---
Hear Hear Scott!

Well said ! Over the years, MDA, Easter Seals, & the March of Dimes to name a few have been my best clients! Hands down. they get great deals because they order in large quantity for several events throughout the year.

It is the smaller one's that are out to penny pinch. Every time there is a disaster here like a fire the eats a whole community..

the phone rings with people wanting donations of shirts & printing. Sheesh, If I had a dime LOL

My Bassett Hound came from a non profit rescue.... Many of you have seen the art I donate and we donate the shirts, printing and set ups in exchange for a small tagline and tax write off. We Love Dogs!

Dottonedan:
Artelf,

Are you printing your own stuff now or are you working for someone?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version