Author Topic: Charleston  (Read 4008 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Charleston
« on: August 07, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »
Just because Conde Naste voted Charleston number one most friendliest city in the US (3rd time in a row)don't think ya'll are going to pack up and move here! Well except Dave maybe; as he has some ties here and is a reasonably good fellow (plus he has the coolest monicker).Yes it is boasting a little but I have lived in a very lot of places and am quite grateful to have been invited back by IBG and be able to live right off the islands.
BTW I hail from Conn and typed ya'll........kind of rubs off on you

Offline Parker 1

Re: Charleston
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »
Its Yawwll in the deep south.

Chris

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 02:35:30 PM »
If we didn't move back to New Orleans from Seattle it would have been Charleston. But the music scene here is much more to my liking (and work haha). My wife and I will be up next year to Charleston to visit old friends and family. Will have to take you out for beers Tony! And we can swing by Timbo's Boiled Peanut Shack if it is still there

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 04:17:59 PM »
Maybe that's where I'd go when I finally retire. I grew up here in Mass, but despise it here now. It's like the place I grew up in moved to another planet and I didn't get the memo. I've often thought south would be the way to go...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 04:37:09 PM »
I was supposed to have spent the last week in Charleston and Savannah, but had to cancel at the last minute. the Wife and chittlens are having a good ol' time down there though.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 06:16:38 AM »
People come to visit and then figure out how to live here. It happens a lot. That's what my friends do. Charleston/Mount Pleasant was barely affected by the recession. Huge housing boon and infrastructure expansion to meet the population increase. Theres two sides to that story as it continues to happen. Mount P was a sleepy, hip, Bohemian island town 15 ys ago. I left for ten ys and so much has changed. Its more modern but the zoning board diligently fights to keep much of the old Southern Charm. Back in the day it was considered rude not to say "hey!" to a complete stranger passing by or in the grocery store. When walking or bicycling in the old village it still isn't uncommon to have people in cars wave at you. A little less common as so many transplants are not aware of these unspoken customs. Even with all these changes I never want to leave. I've made a considerable amount more money elsewhere but I put a pretty high price tag on all this stuff.
That said I'd love to hear about where the rest of you folks live; especially places I've not been to. Might make for some light Friday discussion.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 07:18:09 AM »
I used to go there every year for the British car show...we would have dinner on the Yorktown some years.  It was really neat.  Beautiful place.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 08:03:29 AM »
People come to visit and then figure out how to live here. It happens a lot. That's what my friends do. Charleston/Mount Pleasant was barely affected by the recession. Huge housing boon and infrastructure expansion to meet the population increase. Theres two sides to that story as it continues to happen. Mount P was a sleepy, hip, Bohemian island town 15 ys ago. I left for ten ys and so much has changed. Its more modern but the zoning board diligently fights to keep much of the old Southern Charm. Back in the day it was considered rude not to say "hey!" to a complete stranger passing by or in the grocery store. When walking or bicycling in the old village it still isn't uncommon to have people in cars wave at you. A little less common as so many transplants are not aware of these unspoken customs. Even with all these changes I never want to leave. I've made a considerable amount more money elsewhere but I put a pretty high price tag on all this stuff.
That said I'd love to hear about where the rest of you folks live; especially places I've not been to. Might make for some light Friday discussion.

This is similar to how I feel about living in New Orleans.  People think we are crazy to live here because of the hurricanes but at least we know when they are coming and we have seen that not many places are immune to large disasters.  I can do without the hurricanes and low elevation but don't think I could ever leave because of our coastal fishing and food.  Two nights ago I took my wife and twin babies out to eat and had the most delicious blue crab beignets and shrimp and grits with roasted shiitake mushrooms, smoked bacon & thyme.  Very hard to leave this kind of eating.  In fact I am going crabbing tomorrow because my in-laws requested a crab boil.  Gotta love Sportsman's Paradise...if only we could get the government to do something about the coastal erosion.  If not my kids and grandkids (God willing) will not enjoy the same resources I have been able to.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 08:20:18 PM »

Most of your post sounds like Western Canada, we've weathered the recession very nicely. The Olympics helped a bit, so did a healthy resource based economy, although that comes with it's environmental drawbacks.

I live in the Okanagan Valley, BC Canada, medium winters, better than central US for sure, and great summers, lots of beaches, orchards and a booming wine industry, in Fact USA Today just named us the second best wine area to visit in the world, the Valley is 5 large lakes in a chain with small towns (100000 - 5000people) scattered on their shores.

ps: that lake has 10lb+ LM Bass, 5lb+ Smallmouth, good Trout and we now have great Sockeye Salmon fishing in-season just South of there...Mmmm.. Sockeye...

This is my sleepy little berg, Summerland, BC:

my shop is right at the base of the mountain in the middle, on the right hand side.

We're a tourist destination for most of Western Canada, but with retirement being the #2 industry most of the year, it makes for some interesting business combinations.

For the Fishermen, we get lot's of this:

which leads to lots of this:

Ps: I'm still choked I didn't get down to SC. next time!
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »
Fishing and wine... I am all in..... Pm on its way very soon!!!

Most of your post sounds like Western Canada, we've weathered the recession very nicely. The Olympics helped a bit, so did a healthy resource based economy, although that comes with it's environmental drawbacks.

I live in the Okanagan Valley, BC Canada, medium winters, better than central US for sure, and great summers, lots of beaches, orchards and a booming wine industry, in Fact USA Today just named us the second best wine area to visit in the world, the Valley is 5 large lakes in a chain with small towns (100000 - 5000people) scattered on their shores.

ps: that lake has 10lb+ LM Bass, 5lb+ Smallmouth, good Trout and we now have great Sockeye Salmon fishing in-season just South of there...Mmmm.. Sockeye...

This is my sleepy little berg, Summerland, BC:

my shop is right at the base of the mountain in the middle, on the right hand side.

We're a tourist destination for most of Western Canada, but with retirement being the #2 industry most of the year, it makes for some interesting business combinations.

For the Fishermen, we get lot's of this:

which leads to lots of this:

Ps: I'm still choked I didn't get down to SC. next time!
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »
Looks like Okanagan Valley is my next vacation!!!  What are those tall lumpy rocky things mixed in with the flat land?  ;)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 11:55:49 PM »

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 12:01:36 AM »
Man, BC looks amazing. I have always wanted to vacation there. After seeing those pics I'll have to press my wife a little more to get things rolling.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 12:24:55 AM »
Royster should post some pictures from his neck of the woods too if you like mountains.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 01:30:45 AM »
I've always wanted to live in SW colorado.  I went to school in Durango and have always wanted to go back. Ouray is awesome if you never been.