Author Topic: If you were given that chance to start a different business what would it be ?  (Read 10228 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
I worked at Sam's Club for almost 7 years right out of high school, through college and then a few years after, and I can say I learned a lot on how and how not to run a business, and especially how to deal with customers and employees.  I worked under dozens of different managers and I soaked up everything I could about the business and especially the employee/employer relationship.  I can't say I have any real negative things to say about the company, but I do know a lot about why they have done things the way they do, even though I did disagree with many company decisions and directions we had over the years.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
I have to say that I learned a ton working at walmart as well.  I was always pissed that my discount card didn't work at Sam's Club.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Some do the Walmart thing in their later years, but are naturals at their job!

Cheney as a Wal-Mart Greeter
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
priesthood collects tax free money

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Worked at Walmart stocking shelves overnight, don't miss it a bit.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
I didn't mind working at wal-mart.  It's retail, but frankly, one of the better retail places to work.

As we all know, the retail end of this business can get sh!tty.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Wal mart in the mid to late 90s here in California was actually a great place to work because we got all these managers from the midwest and southern regions to start up the stores here and they knew how to run a store and to have good relations with employees but after they started promoting California people into management and I hate to say it because I am a California guy the place downhill.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Wal mart in the mid to late 90s here in California was actually a great place to work because we got all these managers from the midwest and southern regions to start up the stores here and they knew how to run a store and to have good relations with employees but after they started promoting California people into management and I hate to say it because I am a California guy the place downhill.

I heard the place went downhill after Sam Walton died.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some

I heard the place went downhill after Sam Walton died.
Yeah that pretty much is it. It is crazy how rich the Walton kids are and I think it has gotten to their heads.