Author Topic: Stretching your own mesh.  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Dochertyscott

Stretching your own mesh.
« on: July 13, 2014, 05:08:10 AM »
Does anyone stretch there own mesh using clamps that hook up to a compressor.
Some are available locally and wondering whether it's a good investment and if time and materials that are needed whether it's worth it.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/art/art-supplies-equipment/other/auction-753274372.htm
Scott

PRINT TO LIVE, LIVE TO PRINT!

Offline Get Shirts

Re: Stretching your own mesh.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 08:03:28 AM »
I can't imagine this would be a good use of your time with all if the low cost static options available.

At one point I found myself with a stretching table, stretched a few screens and quickly realized it was a waste of my time.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:34:18 AM »
I'm in the process of switching my shop from statics to roller frames in order to have more control over tension.  A static stretcher like the one you linked to could probably save you some money if you have a ton of old frames lying around, but over time I think a roller setup would give you a better ROI as the mesh in the rollers will outperform the statics if tensioned and work hardened correctly.

This info is just from research and speaking with others though, and I'm by no means an expert on this side of things.  Will be looking forward to hearing others input on the subject.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 12:00:12 PM »
we stretch our own simply because of availability of static S mesh. we are mostly panelframes though and only 50ish statics, so not a ton...We have tried so many different companies with statics and they all promise high 20's for tension and they all fail. some which will remain nameless were about 18 right out of the box, and the frames were weaksauce, all bowed and useless...

I make our own s mesh panels for our panels frames and I turned an M3 into a stretching table...next batch of statics I purchase will be the from the fellas @ spot color...see how those work out, I think shipping a stretched frame causes some issues with the tension, so that's another reason to do it in house for us....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »
waste of money

invest in roller frames or at least one over size frame to 'stretch' your mesh to glue over a frame.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 05:09:06 PM »
<<< what he said
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 06:07:22 PM »
Remember that Docherty is in New Zealand, and some things that we take for granted at any one of our three or four local suppliers may be a little tougher for him to get.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 11:57:56 PM »
Remember that Docherty is in New Zealand,

Roller Frames are world wide. I'm sure even new zealand, Aus for sure, has some dude with a pallet of them somewhere trying to get rid of them.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Dochertyscott

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 03:04:38 AM »
Yep we don't have the same sort of access to roller frames.
Some guy in Australia with a bunch to sell?? Any idea who? Contact details?
Cheers for the advice, I'll stay away form them.
I was thinking about getting some shurlock frames and going down that line...
But If I can get some new mans for a reasonable price that would be ideal.
Scott

PRINT TO LIVE, LIVE TO PRINT!

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 11:21:34 PM »

invest in roller frames or at least one over size frame to 'stretch' your mesh to glue over a frame.

That right there is the way to go. We have a massive pneumatic stretcher, we got for next to nothing. But honestly doing it with a oversized roller usually produces a nicer and higher tension product.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 08:06:08 AM »
Consider the time and cost of materials to stretch your own. At least for us by the time you clean the frames (including consumables like cleaners and abrasives) buy the mesh and glue then stretch it's cheaper to send them out.

I do not agree with the oversized roller for stretching. The roller frame only stretches the mesh, a well engineered stretcher will also tension the frame. The clamping device will apply inward pressure to the frame causing it to bow inward slightly. When the strecher is released the frame will relax and want to straighten out increasing and maintaining higher screen tension. As the screen is used and mesh relaxes the constant outward force of the frame will compensat maintaining better tensions for longer periods.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 08:17:40 AM »

a well engineered stretcher will also tension the frame. The clamping device will apply inward pressure to the frame causing it to bow inward slightly.

That is key there. Our stretcher is a old Rhinotech one. Suppose it was nice in it's day, but BASIC is probably the best word to describe it! ;)
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 10:18:17 AM »
Those clamps are what I used in my previous job, we had dozens of them. They are great for stretching but really are for commercial stretchers that stretch many different sized frames. I wouldn't recommend those to someone that is just stretching one size frame only. They can be cumbersome and have air issues.
"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 01:24:26 PM »
anyway that's better than what you currently do is the way to go. Now, to figure out what's best. We have an M&R Blue Max which we picked up at an auction years ago, plus we have a Shur-Loc roller table, which with panels is the fastest way to go...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't