Author Topic: 4 color process or sim?  (Read 2524 times)

Offline rockerdude

• Verified/Junior
4 color process or sim?
« on: July 10, 2014, 06:40:25 PM »
Ok so I have someone wanting this on 300 sport grey shirts.
Would you guys go four color process or something different.
I know nothing about sim process?
Would this be a good candidate for sim. I have a 6/6 manual.
Danny

Offline rockerdude

• Verified/Junior
Re: 4 color process or sim?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 06:42:24 PM »
Oh yeah for a school full sponsor list on back.
Need in 2 weeks.  But don't they all lol!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 06:46:52 PM »
In my shop we steer clear of 4cp and ALWAYS prefer sim process. If we were to setup this job on a sport grey shirt it would be as follows -

1. base white
2. yellow
3. blue
4. green
5. red
6. black

Someone like Dan or Scott would be able to sep that using those colors where it would look very close to your original art. You could even eliminate the green color and use a process blue on there for the ink which will allow you to get those teal/green colors but I feel like we have more control over color with sim process vs 4cp. If this was white shirts I would say 4cp would be a decent option but not a fan of it on a base compared to sim process. Hope that helps

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline rockerdude

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply! Sooo for a guy that knows nothing about sim.  If I were to quote something like this and get the job, would I just shop out the separations to someone on here? I'd hate to quote 6 colors. Get the job. Then not be able to sep it out correctly to give them a quality print.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »
I would suggest sending it to someone here that can help you with it. My shop could sep this for you as well, the going rate it seems like is around $15.00 per color for seps. If Dan, Scott, or myself did the seps for you I would be confident you could pull off a pretty nice looking print without much troubles. There's a lot of help around here so I wouldn't be too concerned. If you have some good separations you will be fine.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline rockerdude

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:16:10 PM »
That's great to know! I've been lurking and learning here for awhile. I'm posting more now and can't believe the amount of helpful (non snoby) people that are here and willing to give advice! I'll quote it up and see what happens!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »

I'm at $10.00 per color (within a 5 business day turn time) and $17.00 per color if needed sooner.

Sometimes, I see things differently than others in how they would or could handle it. It all boils down to (customer needs) and the quantity/budget. If it's tight, I would be able to do this at 5 colors and have it look almost exactly as the original art. Thats not always the case, (each art is different) and so, can be easier or harder, more or less (exact to the original).

Sometimes, that's the difference between several separators. It all depends on your needs. A choice in separators can be the style. For example, one separator is good and can turn it around same day or next, but left to separate how they see it, can on a regular basis, use more colors than needed.  I'm good as well, but need more time as I have a full time job. My typical style is to use (as few) colors as possible yet to be able to provide the best look at the same time. Less colors, can be a huge factor in production time and cost to your customer. That can either win you the bid, or build more profit in your pocket.

1 Base white
2 Yellow
3 Greenish blue
4 Brownish Orange
5 Black
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 04:30:50 PM »
This a good place Rockerdude, ask away, lot's of help here. Like both Dan's, I see spot (sim) process as well. 4C process works it's best on white, on other colors you'll usually need an underbase white and a highlight white. I had a customer have me quote on 4c the other day, without seeing the art. When the job arrived, it was 3 shades of gray and 3 shades of red, and a white. So, not CMYK...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 11:22:47 AM »
I avoid 4cp like the plague.  It's much easier on white to knock it into 4-8 sim colors and roll with it.  You get better prints with less color shift.

Heck, dan's method is the same screens as 4CP with an UB and you print will look better.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 01:24:46 PM »
My method can be miles away from converting to CMYK and replacing them with spot colors.
There are many ways to skin a cat. I've used some channels from a CMYK conversion. Also RGB and grayscale. Occasionally pull from LAB and HSB and rare, but sometimes color range and a few others.

The trick is not where you get your seps, but what you do with them afterwords. Almost all of mine are frankenstiened and adjusted (by selection) or various key isolated areas. So in a nut shell, no, not nessesarly a conversion to CMYK.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850