Author Topic: How do I blend spot colors in illustrator?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
How do I blend spot colors in illustrator?
« on: June 25, 2014, 08:54:23 AM »
I'm working on some art where I need to recreate some regular colors by blending spot colors (adding some text and other graphics elements to a already separated file)

Example:

I need green.. in my spot colors, I have PMS300 (blue) and PMS108 (gold)... I assume (maybe big assumption here?)  that if I go into the appearance panel and create a 2nd fill of the PMS108, and set both of them to around 50% or so, that on press, I'd get 50% blue, 50% gold which sould make my green (the green isn't specified to be a specific shade, so close enough is fine)

problem is... illustrator isn't showing me that blended color, or maybe it is? and it's just wrong?

Anyways... thoughts/help/suggestions would be great.

Update: it appears to be working as I expect on a Red/Gold to make orange layer... just not on the green.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:58:06 AM by jvanick »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: How do I blend spot colors in illustrator?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:29:22 AM »
I normally would just assign the spot colors to the gradient panel. However, I'm not sure those two colors are going to give a  very nice green; gold has some red in it, and that will make your green a little brownish...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
duh, that would explain what illustrator is doing... I guess I should just listen to the software.

oh well, time to figure out something else to do with that one area... ;)

-J

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
Choose percentages, put on a top of each other and choose multiply on the top object.
You will get the look of what it will be printed.
Using gradient with spot colors is not that good of an idea.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »
also check the preview button in separations preview panel. Turning it on and off makes a difference in how your colors are displayed.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »
cool.. I was missing the 'multiply' step... (was just using 'normal')

I think the problem here is as Steve pointed out.. gold+blue == kinda brownish green...

Illustrator has it right, I'm unfortunately out of colors on my 6 color press... so I told the custy that we're just gonna run it with blue in that section and be done with it.. he's fine with the proof, so we're good to go.

next press will be at least 8, if not 10 colors.

but.. now I know how to do this in the future, so thank you!!!