Author Topic: Training  (Read 3579 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Training
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »
At our shop, my wife handles all the art seps and film printing, as well as ink mixing! We've gotten CRAAZY busy over the past month, and we'd like to give one of our employees a raise, and have her start handling the art seps.

Currently this employee is my wife's art assistant, and basically preps files, and get preps mock ups, but we'd really like to get her separating art! Our only problem is, my wife is self taught, and doesn't have very much time if any to train someone!

Can anyone recommend any classes, or videos on art sep. that we can start having this employee go over?

thanks!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
Re: Training
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »
Here's an excellent video on spot color separations in Photoshop:

Spot Color Separations In Photoshop on Vimeo
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:53:10 AM »
Thanks! i'll fwd this on!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 12:08:34 PM »
For sure check out the videos and if you see this person being someone you want to invest in, sign them up for classes at a tradeshow, there are some really good ones out there by reputable folks in our industry.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:35:57 PM »
The Freseners have a Separation class August 1-3

http://www.printersbootcamp.com/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »
for spot color art, I would not go that route. Convert it to vector and it will be 100x easier.

You will need a good vector engine, if you are using CS6 or newer, you are golden. I am not sure if the CS5 has the new or old conversion tool. CS4 is too old.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 01:56:22 PM »
for spot color art, I would not go that route. Convert it to vector and it will be 100x easier.

You will need a good vector engine, if you are using CS6 or newer, you are golden. I am not sure if the CS5 has the new or old conversion tool. CS4 is too old.

pierre

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here.  While vector conversion tools have improved in recent years, when it comes to hand drawn art they just aren't there yet.  Regardless of the resolution, vector conversion tools often take the human element out of hand drawn art, and can take away a lot of the "feel" of the artwork in the process. 

Now redrawing something in Illustrator using the pen and other tools is a whole other ballgame, but takes a lot of time.  We offer that to clients in many instances, usually where their art is too low-res for print.  But I don't see any reason not to output a high res raster image straight from photoshop, if that's what the customer has supplied you to work with. 

We probably output about 90/10 vector to raster here, and I always push vector as the first priority.  But having the knowledge in the above video available when a customer does supply hi-res raster art can definitely help translate the artist's vision to print in the most respectful way possible.  It's also not a bad tool to have in the box when you get a finicky vector file, in that you can drop it in Photoshop, flatten it and separate from there without having to worry about weird transparencies/masks/etc that can make your head hurt just trying to figure them out. 

That's not to say that vector conversion tools don't have their place.  They certainly do.  I just don't think its foolproof enough yet to disregard another very powerful tool for anyone creating seps.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »
I have to say, that I reached a great milestone when I learned how to do seps via channels in Photoshop.
I could suddenly sep much of what my clients submitted. Granted, the tracing tools weren't quite as good
as they are now, but while some get improved, many hand drawn designs lose something when vectorized.

I also have to qualify this by saying that I have not used the newest Adobe conversion toys.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 12:35:10 AM »
The Freseners have a Separation class August 1-3

http://www.printersbootcamp.com/

Has anyone ever taken this?

Pm me if you would like to tell me your opinion on his class (seps specifically).

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 12:33:12 AM »
Bump

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 03:07:10 PM »
Every shop needs Mitch Different's book on the subject:

http://mitchdifferent.com/book.htm

Easy to follow step-by-steps.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 06:12:59 PM »
Every shop needs Mitch Different's book on the subject:

http://mitchdifferent.com/book.htm

Easy to follow step-by-steps.

Funny you posted... I was going to contact you if we ended up going to the AZ seminar.

Offline starchild

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 10:40:49 PM »
Well staying true to the subject line:

Operation Screen Print - Killer Black Shirts
by Dane Clement and Lon Winters

http://graphicelephants-com.myshopify.com/collections/training-dvds/products/operation-screen-print-kit-1

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »

http://graphicelephants-com.myshopify.com/collections/training-dvds/products/operation-screen-print-kit-1

It's a little out of my price league.

But I was impressed that the price had dropped from 400.00

to 399.95

Quite a bargain!!
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline starchild

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 02:07:10 PM »

It's a little out of my price league.

But I was impressed that the price had dropped from 400.00

to 399.95

Quite a bargain!!

HeHe.. on graphic elephants ebay store they have the "make offer" button.
You never know.. They're  maybe trying to see at what price point people are willing to purchase..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181334550791
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:09:45 PM by starchild »