Author Topic: How many shirts were you printing before you went Auto?  (Read 2777 times)

Online Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
How many shirts were you printing before you went Auto?
« on: June 25, 2014, 07:20:28 PM »
Business has been growing somewhat steadily over the years, not as much as I would like it to grow but much of that is do to the fact that I run my shop part time. It looks like I'll be taking the leap at running my shop full time within 6 months or so. Depending on my financial situation, I was thinking it was time to pull the trigger on an auto, but I wanted to get an idea of how many shirts/garments were some of you guys printing per year on average before you decided it was time for an automatic?

Hopefully this is the right section for this thread, I wasn't sure if it was relative enough for the Equipment section.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: How many shirts were you printing before you went Auto?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »
I can not answer your questions, however, I will give you more...Is the amount of time you are putting in taking away from your life?......How many orders are you doing that could be contracted out?...Are you using hired labor that can be reduced or eliminated with an automatic..Sometimes just based on the answer to the 3rd question it can be worth it to upgrade....

Online Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »
I can not answer your questions, however, I will give you more...Is the amount of time you are putting in taking away from your life?......How many orders are you doing that could be contracted out?...Are you using hired labor that can be reduced or eliminated with an automatic..Sometimes just based on the answer to the 3rd question it can be worth it to upgrade....

I entertained the thought of contracting orders out, but I prefer to be hands on with the orders I take. Also, as most of you already know, everyone needs their shirts yesterday. I need to be in control of the production in order to keep up with the crazies out there. I live in the NYC metro area so there are pretty much only crazy people around here, always in a rush. I'm not using hired labor, just a one man band. Printing manually over the last 7-8 years. I just turned 25 and my body feels twice that.

I work at another shop at the moment and my boss wants me to handle all of his production by 2015 so that will be about 3-4 times the volume I'm doing on my own right now. I think even a small auto can help me manage the production better and hopefully free up more time for me to focus on growing the business.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:15:45 PM »
Kiddo I wish I had your vision back in my twenties, pushing the old 50 now, but to answer your question when we went auto we pick up over flow work from other shops and larger orders did start to come in.  I can't say this is true for everyone that goes auto, but it will sure cut your work load and give you more time to sell or do art, and not spending all your time manual printing.  I don't think there is any magic to this biz but just good ole hard work and planing, and finding that market you can attack, rule #1 just about anyone can print a T-shirt, but it takes a lot to run a business. 

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »
one thing i'll say about auto printing, is you can never have enough screens and or squeegees/floodbars
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline prozyan

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »
I never had a set number of shirts being produced for me to go auto.  It was all about what my body was telling me.  And when I would print 150 shirts and be sore the rest of the day, I figured it was telling me it was time to get an auto.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 09:28:23 PM »
It was my first order of 600pcs. 6-col. in August that made my mind up for me. Damn near killed me humping them out in 110F heat. Saved up a deposit, got a loan approval from my bank, and starting shopping. The real kicker was needing a bigger shop to put the auto in.

Never looked back, one of the best decisions I made.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Admiral

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 09:39:59 PM »
Once we went through a few orders that took us through nights of printing that's when we new we needed an auto.  Then of course right when we got it we started getting crazy busy, went to full time on that auto along with a bit on the manual as well.

We were at 12 hour days on that auto + half-full time on our manual just a bit ago and now have a second much larger and faster auto and we have been maxed out on both autos since it was installed.

As soon as you can justify the expense is probably the time to pull the trigger.  You will save on labor and will be able to price larger jobs lower but be more profitable.  Save your hands/arms too especially if you are a puller.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »
we bought our auto after we had a few 100 shirt orders coming in regularly.. of course ours is a beater, but, it gets the job done and makes us a lot of $$$

Best decision we ever made, and has made the larger orders nearly a walk in the park.

we now offer contract printing at quite reasonable rates to a few promo companies around town.  The profits on the last order we printed would have nearly paid for it.

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 09:57:01 PM »
It really was all based on time. By the 4th year we were printing 12hr. days 7 days a week and it about killed me. Same thing is happening right now with our auto and 1 manual. Seems like when we make a adjustment and get more shirts done pre day twice as many shirts show up.  Sucky part is that it's easier to train on the auto so I'm still stuck printing long days on the manual.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 02:12:09 AM »
Too damn many for too long!  Now our auto can't keep up and we need a second. Snap up whatever you can and go from there.  The older machines are a pain but will teach you much.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Online Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 06:15:37 AM »
Thanks for all the reply's. I figured there was no magic number. I feel like going auto is the way to go.

I considered buying used. I see plenty of deals on Javelins and Freedoms, but to be honest I'd rather buy new. I should be able to put a large down payment on a Diamondback C or S, I was also considering a Javelin Pro with Choppers. I've leased equipment through Geneva Capital before and they said there is a repeat customer discount so if the payments are low enough, I'm pretty sure I can justify the cost of the auto, even if I'm only printing on it 3 days a week.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 08:04:52 AM »
Thanks for all the reply's. I figured there was no magic number. I feel like going auto is the way to go.

I considered buying used. I see plenty of deals on Javelins and Freedoms, but to be honest I'd rather buy new. I should be able to put a large down payment on a Diamondback C or S, I was also considering a Javelin Pro with Choppers. I've leased equipment through Geneva Capital before and they said there is a repeat customer discount so if the payments are low enough, I'm pretty sure I can justify the cost of the auto, even if I'm only printing on it 3 days a week.

I look at it this way. If you can afford the payment for an auto with the profit you make right now printing manually, then you need an automatic press. I probably still print less than most on here, maybe twice a week for 2.5hrs each, and I would absolutely do it the same if I had to choose again.  You make your press payment in the first 30 minutes of running the auto, done.

I would look for a used piece of equipment, find a LOCAL bank with a real person who decides on your loan acceptance, and put 20% down.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
Auto from day one 32 ys ago

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 08:37:37 AM »
Me and my wife decided to get an auto when we an order came in that was 4350 pcs 5 colors each.  It took 2 weeks to get half of them done working all day because we were dealing with customers as well.  We decided no matter how tired we were that we would just suck it up and finish the other 1/2 of the order.  About 2 days before we finished we got another order for 3800 pcs.  As soon as the second order came in I called the banker.
It's not a job if you love doing it.