Author Topic: How hot is your shop right now?  (Read 4433 times)

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: How hot is your shop right now?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 02:01:51 PM »
That's what they did at OATS.........kept people from wandering from their stations

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »
its' only about 90 in here right now, with the A/C blasting all day. We believe what we pay to air condition the place will pay for itself in steady, constant, high production numbers. After 9 or ten hours, the heat begins to wilt you. You all know that though. It's a comfortable work environment, people are will to work as hard at 3 in the afternoon and they are at 6 in the morning. Maybe they're spoiled by the A/c, but THEY are a huge part of  what makes the company tick. I just feel the need to take good care of good people. But I tell you what, my office doesn't have A/C and I'm ready for a beer!
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 02:58:35 PM »
Trust me, if we were to ever move, that would be a consideration, but to insulate the place would be insane, not to mention ac big enough to cool and maintain it. I've tossed the idea around of building 10 foot high ceiling area where the main production would be, insulated properly and ac that, but that would only be if we end up buying this building. 30 foot ceilings with corrugated roof right now. And the Podunk genius who built the building painted the roof dark maroon.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 04:21:12 PM »
I'm dying over here.....

it's 82 today.. i'm sweating.. ahhhhh!!!  8)
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »
we just bought 6 of these. They've been the shop for a week, and everyone LOVES them. the only bad thing is pesky wires every where now

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/air-conditioning/portable/portableairconditioners-spotcooler-etl-approved-796000
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
I had an HVAC guy in here a few weeks ago discussing our options on cooling the production area and he said "air socks" and this is what they look like.  He said this is the best way to cool a shop our size and we don't need near as many tons as other methods would need and we would only turn it on when we needed it.  Our building is already well insulated but we'd need to do some work around the bay doors.  He said that with the air socks it would cost about half of what it would cost to cool the embroidery building.  But we're still talking upper teens in cost...maybe next year because our next purchase will be a CTS.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »
SF Bay Area... 74 and a bit overcast, nice breeze coming of the bay... almost need a light hoodie.. gotta love Northern California weather...printing lots of rainbows this week... Gay Pride SF this weekend.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 05:23:46 PM »
we just bought 6 of these. They've been the shop for a week, and everyone LOVES them. the only bad thing is pesky wires every where now

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/air-conditioning/portable/portableairconditioners-spotcooler-etl-approved-796000

I wonder how many seasons those will last before breaking or needing a recharge. Does it blow hot air out the back? I may need to try a couple.

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 05:28:58 PM »
No screen printing so it's 65 in our shop today. 

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 05:32:09 PM »

I wonder how many seasons those will last before breaking or needing a recharge. Does it blow hot air out the back? I may need to try a couple.

it blows a little bit of hot air, but honestly not that much. My dad showed them to me, as he is a consultant for the oil industry, and one of his co-workers recommend we try this
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Northland

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2014, 10:28:14 PM »
In this case (small portables)... because the condenser and evaporator are in the same room it's an equal delta T. proposition.
You make as much heat (out the back) as cool (out the front).

The reason they are effective is:
The heat rises to the ceiling... and the cool blows where you need it.
So, you're actually spot cooling a small area, but that's all you really need.
High ceilings are a plus.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:32:08 PM by Northland »

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2014, 11:20:55 PM »
Silly us we exhaust the hot air vent on the portable spot coolers to outside.... ;) In one shop even had it plumbed into the ventilation to help suck out the hot air. The best ever was a rolling rack built out of 2 x 4's that held four window air conditioners that we would wheel into an open man door so  the backs hung outside. Cooled a 2000sq.ft. bay nicely.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 11:46:36 PM »
Had a nice chat with Mike/screenprintguy today and while he was talking about his window unit set up I had to let him know our shop almost hit 80 today :D  Suppose this is the first time I can say it's nice to live in MN.

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com