Author Topic: Get it while it last???  (Read 1810 times)

Offline starchild

Get it while it last???
« on: June 18, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »
I dunno:o

The US Trademark Office cancelled Redskins trademark.. (I just heard it on the radio) It now has no value.. I figure it still has some sentimental value to fans.. Do they now throw out their collections?

How do you guys feel about it?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Get it while it last???
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
The previous thread of this soon involved some strong opinions. Strong enough to be now residing in the Opt-in Controversy Cage.
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,12128.msg114526.html#msg114526
Crave controversy? You want in? PM me.
Now, this thread is quite innocuous so far, and won't get moved as long as the discussion sticks with "value of a trademark" and not whether the name "Redskins" is considered disrespectful, or if the Patent Office overstepped their bounds.

That need is served in the cage

Thanks
Play Nice ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:09:15 PM »
we'll try and keep this one clean...but on the flip side the cancelled it because it's offensive.  A quick search on the trademark website shows several different "offensive" slurs on there as well.

Personally I don't get the ban on offensive material on there, it seems that a country built on freedom should allow folks to trademark insensitive things.  Just sayin.

And really, who makes that judgement call?  Some lady is ticked that Trader Joe's played Under My Thumb from the Rolling Stones...people love getting offended.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 09:27:37 PM »
Expect it might get changed, but my son refers to all that as the pussyfication of America........

Where will it all end up?

Think about it. 

Wait!  was that insensitive to someone?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline starchild

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:51:39 PM »
Yes Mr Frog.. I was referring to the value of the trademark and not the politics.. As garment decorators what is the opinion of this situation very likely being exploited by many? Simply because the trademark is being laid to rest will raise it's demand by die hard fans..

On one side the "pussyfication" view folks should have no problem exploiting this opportunity.. The politically correct may not want to touch this with a ten foot squeegee.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »
Yes Mr Frog.. I was referring to the value of the trademark and not the politics.. As garment decorators what is the opinion of this situation very likely being exploited by many? Simply because the trademark is being laid to rest will raise it's demand by die hard fans..

But as I pointed out, folks tend to be passionate, and steer the talk to the debate about sensitivity and/or political correctness.
Don't be surprised if you have to continue this discussion in the cage, the section reserved for controversies unrelated to screen printing.
Sometimes, splitting only the offending posts out is a PITA, so I hope that folks will respect the fact that we have another thread in the cage where they can discuss that aspect of this case, and keep this one on topic.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 06:29:18 AM »
  Of course, they are appealing so I wouldn't print anything just yet.
I'm sure the TM is still in effect during the appeal process.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:02:06 AM »
  Of course, they are appealing so I wouldn't print anything just yet.
I'm sure the TM is still in effect during the appeal process.

In the 90's the ™ office canceled their trademark, they appealed and in 4 years they had it over turned. So do not count your chickens before they hatch yet.
"No man is an island"

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »
Trademarks and copyrights somehow exist outside of first amendment protections... 

Plenty of things that are 'offensive' that you can't copyright.  One of those laws that's "blue" still?  (NOT M&R, silly)