Author Topic: something I learned yesterday  (Read 2596 times)

Offline BorisB

something I learned yesterday
« on: August 19, 2011, 12:52:33 AM »
Today we had visit from Sericol rep.
We compared emulsions side by side. Same mesh (63 t/cm), same settings on machine coater (2/2).
We user RLX and he is trying to sell me Dirasol 915. Both have 38% solids.
Results:  RLX EOM 14% Dirasol 915 EOM 60%. How is this possible? I always beleived that same solids should give very similar EOM.
I guess I was very wrong.

Today i will repeat the test, I will additionally weigh emulsion that went on a screeen. My girl that did coat those screens later told me, that consumption of 915 was huge..

Boris

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: something I learned yesterday
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 02:59:35 AM »
My thoughts are that it would depend on the viscocity of the emulsion.  A thicker more viscus emulsion would force you to coat thicker on each side.  That in turn should give you a higher eom when dried.

It would be interesting to see what that emulsions detail hold and press life are.

keep us informed.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline squeezee

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 05:43:31 AM »
It might be thixotropic, it thins under stress and puts a lot more on the mesh.
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 09:11:42 AM »
Yeah, I would think the viscosity and thixotropic characteristics would be the culprit for different eom's. 

On this note, I built a 4/6 on a 135/48 using Saati PHW Red last night and it was measuring 280-300 microns overall, eom was 220-240 microns.  I'm going to do some experimental printing with it today.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline squeegee

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
Viscosity is a big factor for sure, I also don't think the solids measurement is always an apples to apples comparison for emulsions.  Case in point, the PHW red Alan is using builds up more EOM for me with fewer coats than my day to day emulsion.  The solids content on paper between the two only varies by 2%, but the PHW red is far more viscous.  I know I've used the solids content as a point of reference like you are before but it doesn't always hold true.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:01:20 AM »
I bet, for those with the ability to measure, their EOM can vary seasonally with the temp of the shop.

I have heard of shops refrigerating their emulsions to aid thick coating.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:30:03 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 03:22:13 PM »
I've always used solids content as a judge for whether or not an emulsion might be suitable for us, and that is not a good idea as I've learned.  I'm not sure what the PHW Red is rated at solids content wise but it's as thick as some of our plastisol inks are and it's some great stuff for building eom.  I played around yesterday like I said earlier and I have some screens ready to experiment with.  I also have a new white ink mixture I made that I'm ready to put through a screen.  Pics and updates to come.

Hope everyone is having a good Friday, I know we are... we are printing 1800 light colored garments with black on the back and 6 colors on the front...money maker baby.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »
The solids are what bridge the holes of the mesh and allow us to hold fine detail and build strength, think of a PNG8 file vs PNG24 file. The more blocks you have, the denser the emulsion, and when properly cross linked form a chain that won't break down under the the traumatic experience of long press runs.

The viscosity is just the carrier to get the goo on and to hold it's shape during drying. Thin emulsion will sag and thick stuff can experience long drying times.

You want to see the difference solids makes, take a 160 mesh with a 20% EOM and burn a 35% solids emulsion, then a 45-50% and look at them under a 60-100x scope, the devil is in the details.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services